GA-G31M-ES2L problems. Blank/black screen

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with. I bought a retail 10.5.6 DVD and am attempting to install using the modified boot132 CD. Everything works great up to the install. Once Mac OS X installs completely and gives me the reboot message I manually reboot.

I still have the modified boot132 CD in and it comes up. When I select the hard drive to boot from Leopard starts to load with the nice big apple in the center of the screen and then the screen goes blank/black. It's not actually losing a video signal or my monitor would automatically sleep. I can hear the hard drive spinning as well. I've hooked up via DVI.

My system is below. I hope someone has some ideas on what to try. I can't get it to load up from the hard drive.

Samsung HD103UJ 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB Hard Drive

Intel Pentium E5200 2.5GHZ

VGA PNY VCG8400SXEB 8400GS 256M RT

OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

LG ElectronicsGH22NS30DVD Recorders

A google search and search of the forums didn't show up anything helpful. Is this video card supported? I wonder if that is my problem. Thank you very much!!

-- Jeff

Hi all,

I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with. I bought a retail 10.5.6 DVD and am attempting to install using the modified boot132 CD. Everything works great up to the install. Once Mac OS X installs completely and gives me the reboot message I manually reboot.

I still have the modified boot132 CD in and it comes up. When I select the hard drive to boot from Leopard starts to load with the nice big apple in the center of the screen and then the screen goes blank/black. It's not actually losing a video signal or my monitor would automatically sleep. I can hear the hard drive spinning as well. I've hooked up via DVI.

My system is below. I hope someone has some ideas on what to try. I can't get it to load up from the hard drive.

Samsung HD103UJ 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB Hard Drive

Intel Pentium E5200 2.5GHZ

VGA PNY VCG8400SXEB 8400GS 256M RT

OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

LG ElectronicsGH22NS30DVD Recorders

A google search and search of the forums didn't show up anything helpful. Is this video card supported? I wonder if that is my problem. Thank you very much!!

Your system is fine, as is your video card. Are you planning to use the DVD to boot your system permanently?

Have you installed any modified kexts? I have nearly an identical system, and everything works pretty well for me.

You might want to try my post patch script. Follow the link in my signature to my install guide. It's based on LTL's method. You can find the drivers I'm using. You should be able to use the install DVD to boot, then run the post-patch script from Terminal. You can launch Terminal from the Install menu "Utilities" I think. Note I've never tried the Boot-132 method, but it shouldn't matter.

I don't think it matters who the actual manufacturer is. Your GPU is an nVidia GeForce 8400 GS, just like mine. But mine was made by Asus.

Are you planning to use pc-efi? I highly recommend it.