EP45-UD3P + Q6700

Elfenlyte

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I have only been able to get to 3.0Ghz (35C) stable and 3.2Ghz not stable. I'd like to get to 3.6Ghz. Should I get a new CPU fan or are there some good BIOS settings? Also... I never set the CPU multiplier lower than 10. What will this do? Improve?

How are your temperatures? You can check them in Windows using Speedfan. Check what the max temperature is when you stress all 4 cores for a while. If it's over 70 degrees celcius you should upgrade your CPU Fan.

Otherwise, you need to look at BIOS settings - up the Core voltage of your CPU by small increments, this should allow you to overclock a little higher. If this doesn't work, try putting up the volts on the motherboard.

Note that increasing voltages increases temperatures, so test again with Speedfan everytime.

For more info, search the Internet!

http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

How are your temperatures? You can check them in Windows using Speedfan. Check what the max temperature is when you stress all 4 cores for a while. If it's over 70 degrees celcius you should upgrade your CPU Fan.

Otherwise, you need to look at BIOS settings - up the Core voltage of your CPU by small increments, this should allow you to overclock a little higher. If this doesn't work, try putting up the volts on the motherboard.

Note that increasing voltages increases temperatures, so test again with Speedfan everytime.

For more info, search the Internet!

http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

You probably are going to need a better cpu heatsink and fan to overclock much more.

And like Synaesthesia said, you are most likely going to need to bump up the voltage to your CPU. Usually you can only get away with a mild OC on stock voltage.

As for that 40c temp, I am guessing thats idle and not full load? Cause idle temps are really that important, its full load you need to worry about.

More than likely the reason its kernel panicking is because you need more voltage to the cpu for your overclock. And with more voltage comes more heat. Which raises both idle and load temps. I don't personally think a different kernel is needed for this. I have my e5200 nicely OC'd on the retail kernel.

Bottom line: Going to need a better aftermarket cooler on the cpu and probably bump up the vcore to help make it stable. Give us a run down of the rest of the hardware in the machine (including the case) and perhaps we can suggest a better heatsink.