[SOLVED] Intel ICH8R (Dimension 9200) iPC 10.5.6

8 posts in this topic

I'm unable to get past the still waiting on root device once the os is installed. I didn't choose a kernel, and the chipset I chose was ICHx. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dell Dimension 9200

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66

4 GB or ram

ICH8 or ICH8R (i'm not sure) chipset

STAC9227 Audio

Intel 82566MM Lan

ATI X1300 256mb Video Card

EDIT: Special thanks to thorazine74 and SticMAC™ for helping me resolve this issue.

There is not an option to change to AHCI, only RAID or autodect RAID/ATA.

Use RAID / Auto!!

You will find to be able to use it on RAID setting or RAID/Auto setting you need to add the Device ID to your AppleAHCIPort.kext

<key>ICH8RAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<string>ICH8-R AHCI</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x28218086 0x28228086</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Intel</string>

</dict>

The one in red is the ID for the Controller, normally it comes standard with 0x28218086 and you need 0x28228086!

Here's one i fixed or you can edit it yourself

Please excuse my ignorance, but where do I edit this? Do I need to edit the ISO before I load or somehow get into the os and change it? Once I reboot after installation, I can't get in the OS. Is there a way to boot off the dvd then point it to the drive to boot from?

You can boot to iPC installation dvd again and instead of installing, open terminal utility and copy the provided kext from to volume where you installed OS X. You can find the discs mounted in /Volumes and you have to copy the kext to /Volumes/Wherever you installed OS X/System/Library/Extensions. And after that fix its permissions.

Assuming you have installed OS X into "Leopard" partition and you have the kext in "USBSTICK" disc something like this:

sudo cp /Volumes/USBSTICK/AppleAHCIport.kext /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIport.kext
sudo chmod +R 755 /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIport.kext
sudo chown +R 0:0 /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIport.kext

And after that try to boot using -f option in darwin prompt.

You can boot to iPC installation dvd again and instead of installing, open terminal utility and copy the provided kext from to volume where you installed OS X. You can find the discs mounted in /Volumes and you have to copy the kext to /Volumes/Wherever you installed OS X/System/Library/Extensions. And after that fix its permissions.

Assuming you have installed OS X into "Leopard" partition and you have the kext in "USBSTICK" disc something like this:

sudo cp /Volumes/USBSTICK/AppleAHCIport.kext /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIport.kext
  sudo chmod +R 755 /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIport.kext
  sudo chown +R 0:0 /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIport.kext

And after that try to boot using -f option in darwin prompt.

Thank you for the detailed instructions, but I was able to boot off the dvd then type in -v and rd=disk0s2 and it went ahead and loaded into the OS long enough to install the kext with kexthelper. After that, I could reboot and load the OS in 18 secs flat (very impressed). Thank you again.

Use RAID / Auto!!

You will find to be able to use it on RAID setting or RAID/Auto setting you need to add the Device ID to your AppleAHCIPort.kext

<key>ICH8RAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<string>ICH8-R AHCI</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x28218086 0x28228086</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Intel</string>

</dict>

The one in red is the ID for the Controller, normally it comes standard with 0x28218086 and you need 0x28228086!

Here's one i fixed or you can edit it yourself

You are a godsend! Thank you so much for your time and effort. This fixed my problem and I have a working OS thanks to you.

• 2 months later...
Thank you for the detailed instructions, but I was able to boot off the dvd then type in -v and rd=disk0s2 and it went ahead and loaded into the OS long enough to install the kext with kexthelper. After that, I could reboot and load the OS in 18 secs flat (very impressed). Thank you again.

You are a godsend! Thank you so much for your time and effort. This fixed my problem and I have a working OS thanks to you.

I can't understand why this works for you. I have the same exact machine.

From EVERYTHING I have read and tested, If you have your Dimension 9200 set to "Raid AutoSelect/ATA", then AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext is used. With "Raid On" it's AppleAHCIPort.kext. These are the only 2 choices in the BIOS.

Am I missing something?

SilverHawke, what is your machine set to? Do you ever get any intermittent "Waiting for Root Device" messages keeping you from booting?