Cant open my USB mp3 player

5 posts in this topic

Hello.

I'm using leopard 10.5.6 (latest updates installed) with motherboard ga-p35-ds3p and all the necessary patches.

When i'm connecting my usb mp3 it writes me "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

and in the /var/log/system.log i see

Mar 12 12:12:55 taypens-macpro31 diskarbitrationd[51]: unable to probe /dev/disk2 (status code 0xFFFFFFFC).
Mar 12 12:12:55 taypens-macpro31 kernel[0]: disk2: device/channel is not attached.
Mar 12 12:12:55: --- last message repeated 9 times ---

This error only with this mp3 all the other ones are ok, but windows detects all of them, so the problem not in the mp3.

here the description from system profiler:

USB2.0(FS) MP3 Player:

Product ID:	0xb5d3
 Vendor ID:	0x0603  (Novatek Microelectronics Corp.)
 Version:	1.00
 Serial Number:	AMTMP30000392
 Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
 Manufacturer:	DP
 Location ID:	0x1d100000
 Current Available (mA):	500
 Current Required (mA):	96

Maybe someone can help me with this issue?

Thanks.

I am not sure if this will help, but I had a problem with my Creative Zen mp3 player, I don't remember if it was the same error or not. But I found the following application that enabled me to use my mp3 player with OS X 10.5 and later. the web site has quite an extensive list of compatible players.

http://www.wentnet.com/projects/xnjb/

Good Luck

• 8 months later...

Taypen-

did you ever get a resolution on this issue? i'm a newbie to this site. i've just recently received my MP3 player that has the same specs as yours and cannot connect to it using my mac.

I'm Tiger 10.4.11.

USB2.0(HS) MP3 Player:

Version: 1.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: DP

Product ID: 0xb5d3

Serial Number: 4716348973095

Vendor ID: 0x0603

does anyone know how to make one of these work with a mac?

disk utility eventually recognizes the device:

Disk: General Flash Disk Drive Media

Conenction: USB

External

Serial #: 4716348973095

SMART Status not supported

Partition Scheme: unformatted

i asked Disk Utility to erase and format the volume as MacOS Extended (Journaled) and essentially hung disk utility.

• 2 months later...

I just received one (Jan 2010) and like you I could see it on system profiler but it would not mount. I am using 10.6.2.

USB2.0(HS) MP3 Player:

Capacity: 1.04 GB (1,038,090,240 bytes)

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: Yes

BSD Name: disk1

Product ID: 0xb5d3

Vendor ID: 0x0603 (Novatek Microelectronics Corp.)

Version: 1.00

Serial Number: #############

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: DP

Location ID: 0xfa200000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 100

Partition Map Type: Unknown

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

A simple fix was plugging it into it's own usb port, not into a hub or additional on the keyboard. It mounts as a drive and I can add mp3's to it for playing.

True it stumped me as it seemed that it would charge from other available ports and hubs, but wouldn't mount till it was given it's own direct port. Also it goes to sleep easily and that causes it to unmount which gives the error of improperly ejected.

A solution to the sleep issue I found was to use a free applet called "keep drive spinning". In this applet I directed the system to "touch" the drive every 20secs to prevent sleep mode.

Hope this helps.

Lukabs