"Still waiting for root device"

Australisk

4 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm trying to install OS X alongside Windows 7 (I've reduced the 7 partition by 60GB to fit OS X) using iAtkos, iDeneb, iPC, Kalyway and Leo4all but they either restart my computer (understandably the Intel-compiled ones) but the others leave me waiting for a root device. I'm really not sure of what the problem is! I've tried a few things such as the flags -v, -f and -x as well as switching my BIOS from Native IDE to Legacy to AHCI.

I've:

GA-MA790X-DS4

Phenom 9850

3 SATA HDs (one with W7 and two with just data)

Some RAM...I don't know what else is pertinent but the error leads me to believe that it's an issue between the motherboard and HD.

I've read of others with the same motherboard and Phenoms having success with iDeneb 1.4 as well as success with LawlessPPC, which I'm downloading as I type this but I don't have high hopes for it progressing beyond the same error.

Might there be any things that I've overlooked which'll get me beyond this to the installation or should I just break down crying and buy an Intel CPU and motherboard? ;)

Thanks in advance! It's quite depressing; having installed OSx86 on an AMD (dual core) desktop and an Intel laptop but not being able to make any progress on my own computer!

P.S.: Another suggestion that I read of was trying with an IDE HD plugged in but my optical drive's IDE and this motherboard only has one IDE port and I'm without an external IDE>USB solution.

Well, LawlessPPC actually worked! I got a score of 134 with XBench. Of course, as it's 10.5.4, I cannot install iWork'09. :pirate2:

Not a huge issue but I was wondering if anyone knew of any way to update to 10.5.5 or even .6. I've read that using the official updates can break the installation and I can't find anything about Lawless updates here on the forum.

My other question is: Should I modify anything in regards to the CPU? For my video card I installed the correct driver and it works perfectly, as with sound but should I be worried about the CPU? Is it likely that it's working to its potential by default?

Hi! I'm trying to install OS X alongside Windows 7 (I've reduced the 7 partition by 60GB to fit OS X) using iAtkos, iDeneb, iPC, Kalyway and Leo4all but they either restart my computer (understandably the Intel-compiled ones) but the others leave me waiting for a root device. I'm really not sure of what the problem is! I've tried a few things such as the flags -v, -f and -x as well as switching my BIOS from Native IDE to Legacy to AHCI.

I've:

GA-MA790X-DS4

Phenom 9850

3 SATA HDs (one with W7 and two with just data)

Some RAM...I don't know what else is pertinent but the error leads me to believe that it's an issue between the motherboard and HD.

I've read of others with the same motherboard and Phenoms having success with iDeneb 1.4 as well as success with LawlessPPC, which I'm downloading as I type this but I don't have high hopes for it progressing beyond the same error.

Might there be any things that I've overlooked which'll get me beyond this to the installation or should I just break down crying and buy an Intel CPU and motherboard? :D

Thanks in advance! It's quite depressing; having installed OSx86 on an AMD (dual core) desktop and an Intel laptop but not being able to make any progress on my own computer!

P.S.: Another suggestion that I read of was trying with an IDE HD plugged in but my optical drive's IDE and this motherboard only has one IDE port and I'm without an external IDE>USB solution.

It's a SATA issue, my motherboard won't allow me to change my SATA settings and therefore I am {censored} out of luck apparently but for you this may not be the case, go into yours BIOS change your SATA mode to LEGACY or IDE, this will allow IDE emulation on the SATA controller so that it can function without a SATA driver, then you can install it and upgrade to a functioning SATA installation. Good luck friend, and if anyone reads this and knows a way to work around this SANS EXTERNAL USB ANYTHING or IDE HD which isn't an option. I'm not buying an OLD FORMAT HD for a hack install OS. Please contact me. CannabisLeo@gmail.com and check my thread under the user name leotyrannus.

Hey, leotyranus. Thanks for the response but I got LawlessPPC to work flawlessly the first time! I did change the IDE modes on my motherboard to no avail with other builds though. As long as I use this motherboard, I'll be clinging to the LawlessPPC disc! ;)