Kalyway boots, but iDeneb and iPC don't... Why?

rcg

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been using MacOSX on my PC for a few months. Here are the specs:

- Intel DG33BU ICH9 mobo

- IDE DVD drive as Master

- IDE hard disk as Slave with 2 HFS partitions, with MacOSX installed on the first one

- SATA hard disk with 2 NTFS partitions, with WinXP installed on the first one

- Realtek 8139 NIC (because by the time I installed MacOSX there were no drivers for the onboard Intel 82566DC NIC)

- nVidia GeForce 8500 GT (because there are no drivers for the onboard Intel GMA 3100)

- ALC888 onboard audio

- Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.4

- WinXP bootloader with chain0 for dual-booting on MacOSX

These days I wanted to reinstall everything using iDeneb or iPC 10.5.6. Both installed ok. After booting, I got the Darwin bootloader screen which correctly listed my 2 HFS partitions on the IDE disk. But after selecting the MacOSX partition, I got the "still waiting for root device" error. It doesn't matter what boot parameters I use (-x, -rd=, etc.), I always get the same error. Even when disconnecting the SATA disk the problem occurs.

One thing I noticed is that during Kalyway's installation my IDE disk was displayed on Disk Utility as disk0 and the SATA disk as disk1. And during iPC's and iDeneb's installations the IDE was disk1 and the SATA was disk0. On Windows and Ubuntu the IDE is the first disk, just as on Kalyway.

Another thing I noticed is that Kalyway 10.5.2 uses "Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132", while iDeneb and iPC use "Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.11".

I googled a lot but didn't find an answer for my problem. Any ideas on what I can do? Is it a problem with the bootloader I use (chain0)? Should I use another bootloader (Chameleon, PC_EFI, EasyBCD)? In this case, why does my Kalyway installation work?

Thank you!

rcg

UPDATE: I managed to install iPC on my hardware, but had to use SATA hard drive and DVD drive (still needed an IDE DVD drive for the installation). I posted a thread explaining everything at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=169167.

Yesterday I installed iPC onto a 16GB USB dongle and then I could boot into Mac OS 10.5.6 in my PC (very, very slow). The strange thing is, once in Leopard, I could not see neither my IDE nor my SATA disk. So I guess I'm just missing some important kext for my motherboard/controller. What intrigues me the most is that Kalyway 10.5.2 works perfectly (I'm typing from it right now).

Do you guys have any ideas?

iPC has optional .kexts for Intel ICH does it not? Try installing that. Sounds like that's the problem.

I usually make the OS X partition active and boot with Chameleon, I don't use the disk0 method. Well I've actually never tried that method!

Hope you get it right!

Another option that will definitely work, but is slightly "less clean":

1. Install Kalyway.

2. Install iPC over the Kalyway partition.

However, I don't believe this is necessary, I think you must just select the right .kexts in iPC installer..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I'm sorry I took so long to respond, but I had to put my Hackintosh setup aside for a while because of some "real" work.

Yeah, iPC has some kexts for ICH9, which I had already tried. I identified 3 kexts:

- Intel ICHx SATA drivers

- Intel ICH10 SATA Support (it's description says "Driver for Intel ICH10/9 chipsets")

- Legacy AppleIntelPIIXATA

I tried each one of them and also the 3 together, but I always ended up with the "still waiting for boot device" message.

I issued the kexthelp command in my workig Kalyway setup and verified the following kexts were in use:

- com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily

- com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA

- com.apple.driver.AppleVIATA

I would give up if no distribution worked, but as Kalyway does... But I really don't know what to do.

And iPC instructs to always do a fresh install, and not to install over a working Hackintosh.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I managed to install iPC on my hardware, but had to use SATA hard drive and DVD drive (still needed an IDE DVD drive for the installation). I posted a thread explaining everything at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=169167.