Post 10.5.6/Boot123/Chameleon Issues

Happenstanz

2 posts in this topic

New to hackintoshin', this forum has been invaluable, thanks so much guys!!

My comp:

- Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3/S3 mb

- 2.13GHz Core2

- 4gig 667MHz ram

- Built in audio (Realtek ALC888, used pkg linked on this site & EFIStudio to enable)

- Built in ethernet (Marvell 8056, used similiar driver & manually editted kext, forgot which sorry)

- Nvidia 8600gts/512mb (removed NVkush.kext from initial install & enabled via EFIStudio, CI/QE enabled)

- HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22N (Serial ATA DVD)

- PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-212D (Serial ATA DVD)

Install method:

Boot123 > 10.5.6 Retail > Chameleon + GA-965P-DS3.iso I found online. Installed all current Apple updates via Software Update.

I extracted the kexts from the GA-965P-DS3.iso & installed:

- ACPIPS2Nub.kext

- AppleACPIPlatform.kext

- AppleAHCIPort.kext

- AppleVIAATA.kext

- Disabler.kext

- dsmos.kext

- IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

- IOATAFamily.kext

- IONetworkingFamily.kext

- JMicronATA.kext

- SMBIOSEnabler.kext

not particularly knowing if I needed to but the iso was specifically for my mb so I told myself I should......

Issues:

Everything is working, audio/networking/video, etc. but I get kernel panics occasionally, seemingly at random as well as every single time I try to put a second CD/DVD in the second drive. I have tried to look in the logs but I can't make sense of it sorry...

Ejecting a disc is buggy too, sometimes I have to do it twice (right-click>eject, disc dissapears but drive doesn't open, disc reappears in Finder, right-click>eject again & then it actually ejects).

The other re-occuring issue is very odd. This comp is hooked up to a LCD TV, if I change inputs on the TV from say OSX to cable and then go back, I see the desktop for maybe 2 seconds & then a solid light blue screen that won't go away. I can switch back & forth from cable to HDMI & it does this everytime. About 75% of the time this also happens when the OSX goes to sleep or if the TV is simply shut off. OSX/comp is definitely still running fine despite the solid light blue screen.

The video card & TV are fine, I was running MCE2005 on this comp very recently with no issues, I've changed cables & DVI ports on the video card & tried both HDMI ports on the LCD, same problem.

Thanks for your time!

-Happenstanz

- ACPIPS2Nub.kext

- AppleACPIPlatform.kext

- AppleAHCIPort.kext

- AppleVIAATA.kext

- Disabler.kext

- dsmos.kext

- IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

- IOATAFamily.kext

- IONetworkingFamily.kext

- JMicronATA.kext

- SMBIOSEnabler.kext

I feel you there. I myself spent a lot of time figuring out what was needed and why. I'm still not sure I know, but let's see...

Do you use a PS2 Keyboard or Mouse? Probably don't need ACPIPS2Nub.kext if you don't.

AppleACPIPlatform can fix reboot/shutdown problems on some boards. At one point, I was using a different one, but I found the vanilla one works fine if I add OpenHaltRestart.kext from Psystar. That one's rather important I think.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how you could possibly need IOATAFamily, JMicronATA, and AppleVIAATA. At most you should need one of those, and quite possibly none of them. I had a patched IOATAFamily for awhile, but later found it wasn't needed. Hard for me to tell from Gigabyte's website what kind of ATA controller you have, but it did say you have an ICH8 Southbridge, which is your SATA controller, and probably your ATA controller as well. You might need IOATAFamily for that, but I'm not sure.

IONetworkingFamily is for your ethernet card. After I added an EFI string, the vanilla driver worked for me. But without the EFI string, it didn't. YMMV.

SMBIOSEnabler. If you're using Chamelon, I would think you need a patched AppleSMBIOS. I'm not exactly sure what all these parts are, but if I understand right, SMBIOSEnablers were used in the pre-EFI days.

Disabler is for disabling certain kexts that are known to cause problems, IntelCPUPowerManagement for one. I removed the kexts that this disables instead. Your method is probably superior. If an apple update reinstalled them, I'd have to delete them all over again, but Disabler should continue working (I think).

dsmos.kext. Don't know what it's for, but people say you need it if you use a vanilla kernel. I'm assuming you are.

AppleAHCIPort. This is for the AHCI controller for newer Intel SATA controllers. I think ICH8 uses this, but I'm not positive. Check your motherboard for AHCI settings. If you have one, then you probably need this.

Where did you find this ISO btw?

I suggest you find AppleSMBIOS for your EFI version. Keep the Disabler kexts. Remove everything else (you backed up the originals, right?), and see if it still boots. Best IMO to keep it as vanilla as possible. You might need the AHCI one to boot if your SATA controller uses it. If things keep working after you get rid of a kext, then you probably didn't need that.

Just my 2 cents. Lots of luck.