How to get AR5006EG / AR5007EG atheros wlan working and sound for Acer Aspire 4720z

jasballz

87 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Many many Thanks Jasballz for the great effort you have made. I was searching for this fix for a long long time. It works for me too. I have LG RD400 laptop which is having a lot of compatibility issue with Leopard (OSX). First of all, my keyboard was not working, but later on fixed with Chunan ApplePS2Controller.kext. No sound, later on fixed by AppleHDA patcher. No network, fixed by adding vendor id, device id in AppleYukon2.kext. Now, Airport working with the patch available here in this topic.

Great Work. Now, our dream for Atheros 5007eg comes true.

Hi!

could you please explain more about the way you solved all the problems? I have the same laptop and i have only solved the keyboard and sound problems on snow leopard :\

I will be thankfull if you could upload all the files you used

Have you tried Snow leo?

Which leopard release are you using?

Thankyou

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

for anyone having problems with: Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI

in my case it was a problem with IOPCMCIAFamily.kext, so You could do like following:

1. boot from your installation DVD (i'm using iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8 lite) and hit F8 at the beginning to get boot options prompt

2. type -s to start in single user mode

3. after # prompt shows, type:

mount -uw /

(dvd won't be writeable anyways ;p)

4. then type:

mkdir /Volumes/HDD

5. after that type:

mount -t hfs /disk/disk0s1 /Volumes/HDD

note that disk0s1 is in my case first partition of my main hdd in my compal fl90 laptop, you can get to know which partition you are using by typing in:

ls /dev/disk*

and then checking one by one with:

fstyp /dev/disk{the disk number you got from previous command}

the one that returns "hfs" is probably the one your hackosx resides in :-P

6. after mounting Your partition do the following:

cd /Volumes/HDD
rm -rf System/Library/Extensions/IOPCMCIAFamily.kext
kextcache -k System/Library/Extensions
reboot

(you will probably need to reboot manually by pressing your reset/power button)

now your system should boot without problems but the wifi probably wont work (in my case it doesn't)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thans jasballz for the tutorial. I use the tutorial for the Atheros to make it work. I am using Lion 10.7.1

I have the same wifi (168c:001c) In windows 7 i see it as AR5007 in Linux AR5001.

I installed the IO80211Family.kext. In System Preferences --> Network now it appears (attached screenshot).

I tried with kisMac but it doesn't see my card. Any ideas to make it work?

post-649817-1317056350_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
Thans jasballz for the tutorial. I use the tutorial for the Atheros to make it work. I am using Lion 10.7.1

I have the same wifi (168c:001c) In windows 7 i see it as AR5007 in Linux AR5001.

I installed the IO80211Family.kext. In System Preferences --> Network now it appears (attached screenshot).

I tried with kisMac but it doesn't see my card. Any ideas to make it work?

never mind.....forget about this stupid wifi card. I get a Broadcom BCM94321MC and is recognized as an airport extreme.

Cheers!

never mind.....forget about this stupid wifi card. I get a Broadcom BCM94321MC and is recognized as an airport extreme.

Cheers!

if u need atheros u can try AR5B91 .. works fine for me when 1C didnt ..even apples branded.

i believe it has to do with class type 0200= LAN, instead of 0280= wifi. the AR5B91 is 0280 type.

• 2 months later...

Sorry that I am writing on that old Thread but is it possible that this fix is working under Lion? My AAO D250 has this wifi card and i really want to run Mac on it ^^

if the name of it is ar5bxb63 . i doubt it= only kismac method.

just replace it with ar5b91 its device id 2a and its supported 10.6.3+ they are cheap too 7$ or so and theyre 802.11N

(and only need optional dsdt subvendor id inject to 0x8F)

make sure u get a full pinout not some pins missing (for pci-e compatibility issues on some laptops)