SOLD: Mac Pro Octo 2.8Ghz 2GB RAM 2600XT - $2100

upsguy27

9 posts in this topic

I am selling my Mac Pro to get a current gen top-of-the-line iMac. I'm selling it for $2100. It cost me $2700 refurbished last month. I am also definitely open to a trade for a 24" 3.06Ghz iMac. It would make things easier. But, if you have any other trades, let me know, I just might accept. So, specs:

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors

2GB (2 x 1GB) of 800MHz DDR2 ECC fully buffered DIMM

320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive

One 16x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATi Radeon 2600XT with 256MB VRAM (two dual-link DVI ports)

Comes with original mouse, keyboard, discs, manuals, etc. Pic:

n647432975_1112291_5107.jpg

More pictures on request.

Are you really sure you want to do this? I'm not satisfied with my 2008 20'' iMac and i think the Mac Pro is a much better computer.

Are you really sure you want to do this? I'm not satisfied with my 2008 20'' iMac and i think the Mac Pro is a much better computer.

Yes, I've researched plenty on the iMac vs. the Mac Pro. Honestly, I just don't need this much power in a computer for what I'm doing right now. I think a 3.06Ghz Core 2 would be fine, along with a 1TB HD and then I can upgrade to 8GB RAM.

Make sure you take the glossy screen and the loss of more than 2 monitors with an iMac. I always thought I wouldn't need anymore than the power of an iMac. I was wrong. I do design and development and before I knew it the glossy panel was making me blind, I needed more work space, and only 2 cores and more importantly 4 gigs of slowish ram was killing me on dev time. I'm not sure what you are using it for but unless its just general web-surfing - email stuff, I'd be hesitant to trade up.

The main thing I'd consider is the whole glossy / multiple screens thing. If you are worried about saving energy (I was on my hack build, all silent parts / passive cooling with undervolted controlled fans and a 82% efficency power supply with underclocked graphics card) I think you can turn off one of the processors (name of the app is slipping my mind).

*discolsure: totally anti-iMac biased as a result of having 3 iMac G5 failures in 3 years and 1 iMac aluminum intel failure in 2 years. Built a hack for the quality not just the money...*