How to get mouse integration working in VMware.

2 posts in this topic

I tried to run Kalyway 10.5.2 on VMware Workstation 6.0, it didn't run. So I downloaded Workstation 6.5.1 and tried the old virtual machine again. It installed. On thing that was working out of the box was mouse integration. when I moused over the guest OS, the mouse was auto captured. Then I got greedy and tried o install the hacked system tools for shared folders(Which does not work, anyway). From then On, the operating system didn't even start. It kept telling me that the installed operating system is not Mac OS X server. One thing I did earlier was changing the guestOS = "darwin" in my vmx file. Now only after I changed it back to freeBSd, I was able to run the virtual machine, with no mouse integration, back to old alt-ctrl. I tried uninstalling VMware tools, made a new Virtual machine, all to no avail. So I uninstalled and reinstalled VMware and then got it working again. Here are the steps:

1.Install VMware 6.5

2.Make a new VM, choose custom configuration and in the compatibility tab select VMware Workstation 6.0

3.Edit the machine's vmx file (located in the folder you specified for the machine during creation of machine) and add paevm= "True" and change the gusetOS entry like following guestOS = "darwin"

4.NEVER try to install the hacked VMware tools. They will kill your kitten and eat it.

What's the difference between hacked VMware Tools and regular?

I installed regular unhacked Tools pulled from VMware Fusion and had no problems at all. When I installed them, I had my guestOS set as freebsd-64 and then switched later on to darwin-64, maybe that's why it worked?