Sins of a Solar Empire Cider 2097

Alphakline

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I've been browsing this forum for a few days and have looked online but I haven't been able to find the answers. From what I've read people have come close but no success has been reported about the "gibberish" font issue in SoaSE.

I'm using Cider 2097 (found in the CoH) and am fully able to load the game. The only issue would be the font. I've tried the alternative font pack but that only fixes the size. I've also tried putting all the windows fonts from my Vista installation into the Cider windows\font directory and still no luck.

Has anyone had any luck with this but hasn't posted about it? I'm just curious because the game is fully stable in the cider build just lacking the readable font.

Thanks in advanced.

What kind of font is it? Name, Truetype, Open, etc? Played SoASE on bootcamp, but am excited to hear it's so close to Cider-ready! Porting isn't my cup of tea, but fonts are - esp. cross-platform. If you give me the nfo on the font(s), maybe i can help!

This is text taken from the CIDER 2097 Config file. This is the "FONT" Section of the file

[FontPatterns]

"Pattern0" = "-adobe-times*"

"Pattern1" = "-adobe-helvetica*"

"Pattern2" = "-adobe-courier*"

"Pattern3" = "-misc-fixed*"

;"0"="/path/to/extra/fonts"

[FontAlias]

"MS Serif" = "Times New Roman"

"Helv" = "Arial"

"MS Sans Serif" = "Arial"

"System" = "Arial"

"Tahoma" = "Arial"

;;

;; Mono Space Fonts

;"Courier New"="Courier"

;"FixedSys"="Courier"

;; Disable the virtual memory manager (enabled by default)

; "MemoryManager" = "N"

[serialports]

"Com1" = "/dev/ttyS0"

"Com2" = "/dev/ttyS1"

"Com3" = "/dev/ttyS2"

"Com4" = "/dev/modem"

The original fonts from the game don't work and the font pack from this file, www.honorguardonline.com/sins/sinsfontfix.tar.gz only involve the size issue when using crossover/wine. It doesn't fix the "gibberish" issue with CIDER.

If you need the whole text from the config file let me know. The whole CIDER 2097 port can be found in the City of Heroes file.

hmm. ok, can u tell me if the original fonts are in a separate folder in the game, and if so, what the extensions are (i'm assuming they're TrueType, and not OpenType?) - if they're TT and they're in a sep. folder in the game, then...i know this sounds weird, but my experience as a (cheap) g.designer w/TT fonts in cross-platform situations is that they very easily get corrupted (but not always, whihc is mad crzy); also, some will and some won't work in cross-platform situations (altho' they 'mostly' do nowadays). OT's sure, but TT's...they can give you fits sometimes.

I have some Windows fonts that i can't use in 10.4 - they're TT, too, but whenever I've tried to move/convert to OS X, even using apps and not d&d, they still won't work! even if i try 'fixing' them - go figure. Open Type is never a problem...'natch.

did you try downloading separate versions of ea. font (i know it sounds tedious, but it may help to work/use completely new fonts)? - I'm not aware if ALL games use a separate font folder or if some use the sys fonts (if found during installation)? That's the last resort i would guess - d&d'ing from either the SoASE folder or the sys fonts folder may be causing some issues (some TT fonts have some files 'attached' that either won't copy or require you to do some special line-command stuff to move properly ro they get corrupted).

anyway, just my 2 cents FWIW. Also, mak sure you're moving the entire font family, and not just the font? could be that, too...maybe the game pulls the family form the sys font files??? I'm thinking out loud here...just blathering...

The fonts are in their own folder.

C:\SINS\font

Each font has it's unique name....

buttonlabel.font

PlantNameEmpireWindow.font

etc...

Then there are 4 TTF fonts

SinsAgencyBold.ttf

SinsArialBlack.ttf

SinsArielBold.ttf

SinsOfficinaSans.ttf

I'll see if I can find some other fonts and download new ones... Other than that I don't know.