Help needed trying to get Retail Install Working

deek

24 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am able to get a Leo4allv3 distro working just fine. I can actually only do this by using the vanilla kernel 9.2.0 and the Intel-ICHx driver (mine is the ICH7 series) included in the distro, really that's all! The fuctionality that is lost is that the batteries don't show up but seems to be because I did not install the PowerManagement-Laptops in the install. Also audio doesn't work but that is again because I didn't install the AzaliaAudio that I normally would from the distro.

I have looked and it seems since I have only 1 hard drive (I use a laptop) that boot 132 is the method to go. My question is this, how do I get the proper kext from the Leo4allv3 distro and make my own boot ISO so I can do a retail install? I want my system to be as vanilla as can be :rolleyes:

Hello,

I am able to get a Leo4allv3 distro working just fine. I can actually only do this by using the vanilla kernel 9.2.0 and the Intel-ICHx driver (mine is the ICH7 series) included in the distro, really that's all! The fuctionality that is lost is that the batteries don't show up but seems to be because I did not install the PowerManagement-Laptops in the install. Also audio doesn't work but that is again because I didn't install the AzaliaAudio that I normally would from the distro.

I have looked and it seems since I have only 1 hard drive (I use a laptop) that boot 132 is the method to go. My question is this, how do I get the proper kext from the Leo4allv3 distro and make my own boot ISO so I can do a retail install? I want my system to be as vanilla as can be :unsure:

You can extract the kexts you need with pacifist, but what motherboard do you have? You don't normally need ichx driver for ich7 its supported by default.

You can extract the kexts you need with pacifist, but what motherboard do you have? You don't normally need ichx driver for ich7 its supported by default.

I have an ASUS R1F Tablet PC. When I do the Leo4allv3 install I tried just using the vanilla kernel 9.2.0 as the only selected customization option the comptuer would contunually say "Still waiting for root device". But when I installed the ICHx driver it booted into Leopard just fine although minus sound & laptop power management.

Is this the pascifist you are talking about? http://www.charlessoft.com/

I would like to mention that following the method at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288 for boot 132 after I do the CD swap it will start loading the retail DVD but after a period of time I get an error saying that I need to restart my computer in a few different languages. This happens with both of these .ISOs(see quote below) as the boot cd. I think I need to integrate the ICHx kext from Leo4allv3 so I can install from the retail DVD, is this not correct?

Download .ISO Original with project kexts (all your need is here - noobs try this first): http://www.mediafire.com/?uwd9dtttjfk

Download .ISO with modified kexts: http://www.mediafire.com/?1ne1zbl4znv

Well I tried to install iATKOS 5i again to see if I could find the error. I installed it with just the ICHx drivers (both non ACHI and ACHI) I went into verbose mode and it looked like ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin was causing a kernel panic, I don't know if this has anything to do with my problems with doing a retail install.

Other things I have come across that I hope will help:

During the loading process of boot 132 I get this error 4 times

EBIOS read error: Controller or device error

Block 16432736 Sectors 64

Then it says

Error encountered starting the computer..

Pausing for 5 seconds

And boots to the screen with the apple logo and the spinning progress bar. After a time this screen pops up. (note not my screen shot but the exact image I get)

kalyway_error.JPG

Does this help narrow what might be preventing me from doing a retail install?

Well I tried to install iATKOS 5i again to see if I could find the error. I installed it with just the ICHx drivers (both non ACHI and ACHI) I went into verbose mode and it looked like ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin was causing a kernel panic, I don't know if this has anything to do with my problems with doing a retail install.

Other things I have come across that I hope will help:

During the loading process of boot 132 I get this error 4 times

EBIOS read error: Controller or device error

Block 16432736 Sectors 64

Then it says

Error encountered starting the computer..

Pausing for 5 seconds

And boots to the screen with the apple logo and the spinning progress bar. After a time this screen pops up. (note not my screen shot but the exact image I get)

kalyway_error.JPG

Does this help narrow what might be preventing me from doing a retail install?

Try to boot with grub-dfe.iso you'll find it in forums if you use disabler.kext you shouldn't get ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin problem.

you can get disabler.kext from my kext package here

http://www.infinitemac.com/f7/kext-package...-install-t1823/

I didn't see a disabler.kext in the package (Kexts & Post patch 10.5.6.zip). Also, is there a guide somewhere on how to use disabler.kext properly with the grub-dfe.iso?

grub-dfe.iso has its own version of disabler.kext

sorry it wasn't in the package I've added it to downloads in that thread

you are better off installing chameleon once you get in to your leopard installation, but it should boot with the grub-dfe.iso

I tried booting off the cd and I still ended up getting the error screen that I have previously posted.

Also,

After the grub bootloader loads but before the darwin boot menu I get System config file '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

Does that mean anything?

Can I install the permanent bootloader head of time through my working Leo4allv3 install? Is there any other things I could do now to get this vanilla retail install working?

After the grub bootloader loads but before the darwin boot menu I get System config file '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

Does that mean anything?

Kernel panics, like the one shown in the picture you took, are often caused by

- the OS kernel itself (especially if the ISO build contains or installs an updated one)

- drivers calling to a device that it should not be, especially video cards

- IOATA or ACPI -related texts

To help isolate the cause, press F8 right before booting (be it from the DVD or HD) and flag -v for verbose mode. The boot log will help determine at what point it is stalling or freezing.

When the boot.plist isn't found, that means

- the bootloader isn't calling to the right partition because the proper partition has not been flagged as active (you'll need to use Terminal from within the DVD boot to do that, with the fdisk command (there are tutorials for that here and other forums)

- OR the drive itself that was called doesn't have MacOSX installed at all or properly (but that's usually a consequence of failed installations, and the installer will tell you at the end if it happens)

You may not need to be installing bootloaders as of yet. Wait until you actually get a working installation, or at least a utility installation on a small partition, one you don't intend to update or reconfigure (unless you're really sure it will work) from which you can always boot in case your main target partition gets messed up again. It simply eliminates the need for a boot-132 CD, and also aids in configuring and/or choosing partitions in a dual-boot system.

I have tried the -v, -f, & -x flags to see if I can get some sort of log. Once it starts booting from the retail DVD I get the 4 instances of the EBIOS read error: Controller or device error

Block 16432736 Sectors 64 error and then Error encountered starting the computer.. Pausing for 5 seconds after which I will have the gray screen with the apply logo and the spinning progress wheel and it will always end with the pictured error message.

Looks like there are two darwin prompts that I can enter. I got the retail DVD to boot in verbose mode... lets see what the problem is. Stay tuned.

... and we have a kernel panic.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x4B8CBDAE): "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::buildCPUsPSSArray - got _PSS data for cpu index, 1 but expected index\
n"@/SourceCache/IOPlatformPluginFamily/IOPlatformPluginFamily-316.0.0/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlui
Debugger called: <panic>
Bactrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
{{{bunch of hex values}}}
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0
   Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
			com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin(3.1.6d0)@0x4b8c9000->0x4b8d4ffff
				   dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4.1)@0x4455a000
				   dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleSMC(2.0.1d2)@0x4b8b2000
				   dependency: com.apple.driver.IOPlatformFpluginFamily(3.1.6d0)@0x4b8bb000
				   dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.2.0)@0x44570000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:
9E25

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.0: Mon Jun 9 19:30:53 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.5.20~/RELEASE_I386
System model name: R1F					   (R1F					)

I hope that will help:)

Is there a way to disable the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin from the boot loader or have a setup where I can avoid this kernel panic and continue with my vanilla retail install? I am currently using a boot 132 method to boot my retail DVD as I don't have multiple hard drives.

After searching the internet I saw that some people having a similar problem had success by down grading their BIOS. I tried all 4 versions that were available for my computer and non of them worked.

Any suggestions how I can get past the above kernel panic when trying to do a retail install?

* Please put your hardware specifications in your signature so people can refer to them easily during problem-solving posts. *

I would suggest using a second partition if you can free one up. Otherwise, you'll have to depend on Terminal during DVD boot to manually remove the offending kexts.

Are you dual-booting? If not, just use Disk Utility to wipe the drive completely, and make 2 or more partitions, including a small one 14-20GB. You can use this as your utility. Recreate your working installation, and work directly from this to build the updated/patched/retail/whatever version of Leopard. You'll even have enough space to make an ISO of the retail DVD and use the mounted image method (WAY faster than from the DVD itself).**

** create a disk master (.cdr) from your retail dvd, and change the extension to .iso. Yeah, it's weird, but it works. Anyways... moving on.

Kernel panics (a reiteration):

• bad kernel (BAD kernel! BAD! Down kernel, down!) :lol: sorry, after typing that out many times, I finally couldn't resist.

If your retail version is newer the the Le04All version you have, then its kernel is also new and is probably incompatible. Please check that. Every version (as far as I know) has added a new kernel, from 10.5.3 through 10.5.6.

• power management (on laptops mostly) has gone berserk. Try a distribution like iPC, where patched ACPI and IOPCI -related kexts are included. I see both are noted your boot log. I don't know what all the other garble means, but I can at least tell they don't like your hardware. Since there's no built-in way to get rid of those right after installing from the retail DVD, you'll need to use the mounted image method and delete them right after.

OR: Just search for links to the ACPI/IOPCI packages themselves, so you don't have to battle more hordes of scurvy scallywags to get your hands on some Leopard booty. :P (sorry, couldn't resist that one either)

• graphics kexts. Did you have video acceleration, or at least variable resolution, with the Leo4All installation?

----- woops, there it is -----

Addendum:

"Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.0: Mon Jun 9 19:30:53 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.5.20~/RELEASE_I386"

So there you have it. 9.4 doesn't like your laptop, or at least the laptop AND the combination of kexts in the 10.5.4 retail system.

To go on from here, you'll need to use a utility partition from which to tinker your vanilla installation.

I already have my working install going. 3x25GB partitions on GUID. 1st - HackinTablet (Leo4allv3:10.5.2) 2nd - Test (Empty) 3rd - Free

Disk master....created... NOW!

So what I am getting from you is this, install from my retail DVD when booting from HackinTablet. After that mess around with kexts to see if it is just the kexts in the retail that don't like moe or both a kernel that doesn't like me (BAD KERNEL, go to your room) and the kexts?

Should I install the EFIv9 bootloader now? Or wait til later?

My video can change resolutions and works with an external monitor but can't rotate (rotation is what I would LOVE to have working!) I got the graphics working without any kexts added.

My goal is to have a system that can get upgrades from Apple.

I already have my working install going. 3x25GB partitions on GUID. 1st - HackinTablet (Leo4allv3:10.5.2) 2nd - Test (Empty) 3rd - Free

Disk master....created... NOW!

So what I am getting from you is this, install from my retail DVD when booting from HackinTablet. After that mess around with kexts to see if it is just the kexts in the retail that don't like moe or both a kernel that doesn't like me (BAD KERNEL, go to your room) and the kexts?

Should I install the EFIv9 bootloader now? Or wait til later?

My video can change resolutions and works with an external monitor but can't rotate (rotation is what I would LOVE to have working!) I got the graphics working without any kexts added.

My goal is to have a system that can get upgrades from Apple.

Yep, that's pretty much the idea, similar to what others have posted (now stickies in this category). Another thing to note is that you can install updates from the utility onto the main without sudden halts and freezes, as most updates tend to mess with customized kexts that are already active and shouldn't be changed while they're running in OSx86.

! Remember to repair extensions prior to, and flag -f -v during new boots. !

EFI -- if you plan on using device strings and editing the boot.plist, sure go ahead. It will also prevent any "HFS partition error" and "can't find com.apple.boot.plist" bugs should you ever erase the utility section.

Add. As for updates, you shouldn't have any problems with a vanilla (or almost vanilla) installation, as long as there isn't a new kernel introduced. So general security, Java, iTunes, Quicktime, iLife, iWork, and other application updates are usually update-friendly.

Once I find the culprit(kext, kernel, or combination) will I be able to do a retail install and use my whole hard disk and get rid of the utility partition?

As for kernels, is using an old kernel (lets say 9.2.0) with newer updates a bad thing? or is the fact that its vanilla what matters?

I don't know if there is a utility for Leopard that lets you reclaim free space or partitions. For now, you will be stuck with it. But do a search anyway, particularly in www.macupdate.com. I use that site for a lot of free useful (and sometimes useless but fun) applications.

No, you may not be able to use an old kernel with the OS updates (at least not that I know of). However, more often that not, it's the combination of new kernels and un-patched kexts that breaks what would normally be a working install. For example, I can update a 10.5.2 installation with a 10.5.3 DMG direct from the Apple website, but I'd have to complement the new kernel with OSx86 patches for power management, ATA control, PCI bridges, USB plug and play, etc.

So, what's happened in your case is that the 9.4 kernel is working, but its normal dependencies no longer work in tandem because your hardware is not what they were designed for. XXXX kext sends instructions from non-Apple hardware to kernel, but strictly-Apple kernel fails to understand, goes berserk, and yells at you in different languages telling you to shut down. :)

Now would I want to use a disabler for in my case ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin or a kext? I know I can go into kext and see the Info.plist but even that doesn't make much sense to me. I like to have full understanding of what exactly is going on.

You need to find a version of that kext that works. It's still necessary, especially for laptops, but all I can suggest right now is to try an ACPI and/or IOPCI kext from some of the updater / vanilla tutorials to find what works for your hardware.

It's still possible that the 9.2 kernel and IOPCI and ACPI kexts would work after you use Pacifist to plug them back into your 10.5.4. The old kernel might not give you the best performance, but at least you'll have something to work with until you can get the patches for 10.5.4.

BTW, have you tried the 10.5.6 install/update tutorials for retail DVD's yet? You won't even have to reboot to see if the 10.5.4 works, because you'll already be able to apply the latest ComboUpdate and the power management kexts that have been patched for it. Just be sure to repair extensions and rebuild the extension cache.

I have tried some of the tutorials. First I tried to update my 10.5.2 by using http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102 That didn't work so I decided on trying a retail install based off of these two tutorials http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167 & http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

Last night I actually when to your install notes from the link in your sig and I followed those. I think I installed the bootloader incorrectly (Put it on the test partition instead of my main, HackinTablet partition) I ended up fixing the boot loader problem and got the 10.5.6 retail install to boot but I ended up getting this on my monitor.

gma950failure.jpg

This is the same screen that I would get if I ever installed a kext for the GMA950. The screen looks like it is trying to display the desktop and will change different colored vertical lines.

I am going to try the method in your signature again and this time after I patch the kexts I will put the bootloader on the proper partition and skip adding the EFI string. To see if that helps.

Have you seen the screen I posted before? Any idea what is causing it?

So installing onto the correct partition (HackinTablet) seems to overwrite the bootloader from Leo4allv3 perfectly. When I boot into my 10.5.6 retail install without the EFI string I THINK it is booting successfully but the monitor is blank. When I add the EFI string for the GMA950 (Laptop) I get the above picture.

Can anyone help me out? Is it because I have a Intel GMA945 not GMA950, would the EFI sting cause this problem?

Is there to check if my retail install is booting properly? Possibly doing something to the Test partition (Retail install) from my Utility (HackinTablet) to check this? Or maybe a log somewhere?

I have done some snooping around. I still have no idea what log I might be wanting to look at or what to look for but I did find this.

In my utility drive (HackinTablet, Leo4allv3 10.5.2) the command ls -al /Volumes/HackinTablet/System/Library/Extensions | grep GMA950 returns

drwxr-xr-x	3 root   wheel   102 Oct 11	2007 AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
drwxr-xr-x	3 root   wheel   102 Oct 11	2007 AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x	3 root   wheel   102 Oct 11	2007 AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

When I run the command ls -al /Volumes/Test/System/Library/Extensions | grep GMA950 on my retail install

drwxr-xr-x	3 root   wheel   102 Jun 10	2008 AppleIntelGMA950.kext
drwxr-xr-x	3 root   wheel   102 Jun 10	2008 AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
drwxr-xr-x	3 root   wheel   102 Jun 10	2008 AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x	3 root   wheel   102 Jun 10	2008 AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

Looks like some stuff has been added, I still have no idea how to fix this :/

Great News! I have my video working on my retail install! Using Pacifist I extracted the kext for the GMA950 from iPC 10.5.6 and to my amazement when I loaded it onto my retail partition I had video when I booted up!:)

post-220340-1232914145_thumb.jpg

As you can see I have full hardware support enabled with Quartz Extreme!

What doesn't work: Bluetooth not does not function anymore and sound still needs to be patched. I'm sure I can get my sound working no problem but I have no idea on bluetooth, but I think that will be for another thread. Is this where EFI strings would com in handy?