Thoughts about PowerColor Radeon HD 2600 Pro + iDeneb 1.3 / Vanilla

nukl

1 post in this topic

at the moment i'm using iDeneb v.1.3 leopard 1.5.5 but plan to switch to a vanilla installation of leopard when i become more comfortable with everything regarding the kext stuff and installation procedure. so far i was able to install additional kext files for the integrated intel gma950 graphics chip of my mainboard and everything runs fine. because everything works much better and easier than i initially expected i want to start upgrading it to my work mac and thought i should add a new graphics card because i never really liked the gma950 chip that i also have in my (first version) macbook.

i think i'm going with a PowerColor Radeon HD 2600 Pro, 256MB DDR2, 2x DVI, TV-out, PCIe (R63B-PD3) because HCLs list it as working out of the box without any need for patching and everything working fine and the midrange iMacs also use a radeon hd 2600 pro with 256mb.

does anyone of you have another recommendation or any experience with this particular card? does it make any difference in terms of drivers if i take the 512mb version?

what i'm looking for is ease of use in terms of kext installation and systemfiles juggling, because i'm still new to this even though i'm honestly doing my best to catch up and reading through this forum as much as possible.

here's my current setup:

ASRock ConRoe 1333-D667 mainboard

Pentium Dual Core 1.6 Ghz cpu (i plan to upgrade to a core 2 duo 2,67ghz sometime)

512mb DDR2 ram (i plan to upgrade to 2 x 2gb ddr2 on monday)

300gb SATA hdd

at the moment i'm using the onboard graphics, sound and lan chips of the mainboard

i would also be eternally thankful for any other recommendations regarding my setup or guides for vanilla installations of leopard and really anthing else a newbie like me who's willing to learn should read.

thanks for your time and help! and please excuse my english, since i'm not a native speaker.

Update: After reading some reviews i'm leaning more towards a Asus EAH2600PRO/HDTI/256M, because it seems to have a better cooler that makes less noise, but couldn't find compatibility informations for this card. does anyone know if it work as good as the powercolor version does (or is supposed to be)?