Trying to update to PC EFI V9 from Chameleon EFI on a RAID0

Arbor

1 post in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Kudos to Zef & Netkas for all their awesome work/posts that helped me get this far!

Hope somebody out there can help with this:

I've been running a stable 10.5.5 vanilla installation, without sleep mode, for months now (thanks to Kalyway 10.5.2 install and Chameleon EFI 1.0.11, then combo updates via netkas' method of rejecting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext). My OS boots/runs off of a 2-disk soft raid0 w/ Chameleon Bootloader EFI thanks to this walkthrough: http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=613

I have attempted to upgrade my bootloader to the one used with PC EFI V9 from http://netkas.org/?p=74. I mounted/unmounted the appropriate RAID slices to copy the new boot file from that netkas page. On a re-attempt (thank goodness for Time Machine Restores), I went ahead and used the same method of using fdlsk and dd to install boot0 & boot1h as with Chameleon 1.0.11 before copying the boot file into each RAID slice's "Apple_Boot Boot OSX" partition

At boot, I see that Chameleon 1.0.12 now successfully gets displayed, but then Darwin crashes almost immediately as that semi-transparent curtain of death (guillotine) comes halfway down the screen. I'm guessing maybe the new bootloader wasn't getting the rest of what it was expecting from EFIv9 since I have yet to install it on the actual soft RAID0 drive.

Thus, I proceeded to boot to my utility installation of Leopard on another drive and then ran the PC EFI V9 installer, targetting the destination RAID0 drive where I just

I also made sure that the proper RAID boot-uuid was still correct in com.apple.boot.plist. The installer ran successfully, but now at boot, all I get is this:

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: booting

boot0: done

I also no longer see the Chameleon 1.0.12 bootloader message after I ran the EFIv9 installer.

I haven't even touched 10.5.6 yet...I wanted to see if I can get my existing 10.5.5 working with PC EFIv9 first. One thing that I was never sure about with Chameleon EFI on my RAID0 was that any boot options that I entered after the "press any key to enter boot options" message at boot never seemed to take effect. If I wanted to invoke any boot options, I'd have to edit com.apple.Boot.plist first. Something to do with the Raid setup?

What steps did I miss or screw up? I still haven't figured out all the stuff about DSDT yet, though I'm not sure that's needed right now as 10.5.5 was working fine w/ ethernet, audio, video (NVInstaller/NVInject with a 8800GT).

Sorry for the long winded message, just wanted to provide all the details I thought necessary (it's my first post!)

Thanks for any guidance!