Kernel Version 8.4.1 giving Kernel Trap, please assist

monty0501

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

Firstly, I would like to commend everyone in this forum, this is an amazing breakthrough!!!! You guys/gals rock!!!

Now, for my issue:S

I tried doing a search on this issue, and have had limited results...Im truly sorry if I am asking something that has already been resolved, but I cant seem to find it in the forum.

My situation:

Downloaded MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL:AMD:SSE3:SSE2).iso

Installed on a DVD-R using DVD-Decryptor

Installed on a second hard drive (not primary) which holds the only partition

Installed the optional patches that came with the iso for Intel installations

Now, when I try to boot from this drive, I recieve:

Unresolved Kernel Trap (CPU 0, Type 0 = Divide Error)

I also see the address: 0x0019C352

I also see Darwin Kernel Version 8.4.1: Tue Jan 3.... in an infinite loop after this.

I am very new to all of this, and am very interested in doing this, but I cannot get anywhere from this point.

I tried pressing F8 when the OS is loading (Loading Darwin/x86) but cant get past this.

I have SSE2

P4 2.66

1 GB Ram

Asus P4P800 MB

ATI Radeon 9550 (Sapphire)

Linksys Wireless B Card

Im not sure if anything else is needed.

I was reading something about .kext files, but I am not too sure how to change these, if this is teh problem.

Please assist, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone have a solution for this? I am getting the same message!

I have similar hardware

P4 3.0GHz

1 GB Ram

Radeon 9600

I have tried replacing the vid card, turning off various things in bios.

Thanks!

-Brett

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same problem here. What's the release that you tried that didn't have the SSE3 kernel? I'll snag it and give it a try.

Athlon 64 2800 (or something around there, one of those 64-bit socket 754 cpus, only SSE2 capable)

Asus K8V Se Deluxe

I'm excited for when this is easy and stable (and everything works). I'm sure it'll happen at some point. Or maybe I'll just get an intel power mac, whenever those arrive.

Same problem here with Jas 10.4.6 install dvd. But as far as i can see i got some pretty diffucult specs for osx86. (Lovely for XP though :))

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

Grafics: Nvidia Geforce 7900 GTX (512 MB)

RAM: Kingston 3 GB

Hardisks: Hitachi 7K500 SATA (4 x 500 GB)

Mainboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe (Nforce4)

Please post if you got any solutions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got the exact same error.

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60

DFI LanParty CFX-3200-DR

OCZ Platinum DDR400 (2 Gigs)

ATI Radeon X1900XTX

1 x Maxtor 120 GB ATA drive,

1 x Seagate 300 GB SATA drive.

I'd rather not have to copy an SSE2 kernel from the JaS DVD, but if I must, I must. I figured native SSE3 would help with Rosetta, but maybe I can get it working later.

m'mkay, I am able to boot if I copy the mach_kernel from the DVD through the terminal after booting the installer. I backed up my SSE3 kernel for later, in case I ever see how to get it to work.

m'mkay, I am able to boot if I copy the mach_kernel from the DVD through the terminal after booting the installer. I backed up my SSE3 kernel for later, in case I ever see how to get it to work.

Well ok.

Can you provide a few more details on how to do that?

Boot install dvd, hit something to get command prompt? Copy from dvd to some place on already installed image on the hard disk?

Glen.

Well ok.

Can you provide a few more details on how to do that?

Boot install dvd, hit something to get command prompt? Copy from dvd to some place on already installed image on the hard disk?

Glen.

Ok I got it working, followed directions from NobalArc(many thanks!)

use:

http://www.nedprod.com/Niall_stuff/MacOS%20X/index.html

specifically the part about fixing the kernal trap:

# MacOS X should now boot. However, it may fail with a kernel panic 'commpage no match on last routine'. If this happens, it's because your CPU doesn't support SSE3 and for some odd reason, the HOTiSO image above doesn't install a suitably patched kernel. If this happens, boot off the MacOS X install DVD. When you reach the installer, choose Utilities=>Terminal. Now type 'cp /mach_kernel /Volumes/Apple\ MacOS\ X/' which copies an AMD and SSE2 patched kernel (the one the installer booted from) over the one on your main system. Reboot.

NOTE: I get more email about this stage than any other. People don't read what I just said properly. Firstly, if it boots off the install DVD and doesn't off your hard disc, YOU ARE NOT COPYING THE KERNEL OVER CORRECTLY. I think the backslashes escaping spaces in the 'cp' command confuse non-Unix people. What does the 'cp' command above do? It copies "/mach_kernel" (the kernel binary in the root directory of the install DVD) into "/Volumes/Apple MacOS X" (the root directory of the Apple MacOS X installation on your hard drive. The install DVD searches your hard drive for HFS+ partitions (ie; the one you created above) and mounts each into "/Volumes" so you can access them. If you chose a different name for the partition than above, IT WILL BE CALLED A DIFFERENT NAME IN /Volumes). Any email on this subject which is explained by this note I will from now on simply bin - if you still don't understand, go read a Unix man page for bash and cp. Also, try 'cd /Volumes' and 'ls' to see what is mounted if you can't remember what you named your partition.