Vanilla retail install for all Atom based Netbooks?

niteman1969

5 posts in this topic

Hi there,

as a relatively new Osx86 user I have used the msiwindOsx86.iso

and the excellent update packs from mysticus C for my samsung nc10,

but have not a clue about getting a retail leopard install working on these

machines and after reading all the posts about chameleon / efi / boot-132

am more confused than ever.

I understand that with certain combo's you can get an almost upgrade

proof retail install. With the benefits of working with the guid partition scheme.

Anyway what I am hoping is that people who know all this stuff will post their

boot 132 / efi / chameleon /dsdt instructions here for each individual netbook.

This would make this thread a great resource for netbook users.

I would like to thank in advance anyone who contributes their time and

effort to this thread.

Please try and keep the thread clean, ie if somone has already

requested files for a specific netbook and they haven't appeared yet then

please wait a while instead of asking for the same thing.

Regards and many thanks

Niteman1969

So a quck look seems that there are quite a few machines...

Advent 4211

Advent 4211c

Advent 4213

Advent 4489

Acer Aspire A110

Acer Aspire A150

Asus models (sorry dont know the individual models)

ECS

Lenovo S10

MSI Wind

Toshiba NB100

etc etc.....

I have a good start on MSI Wind running Boot132+EFI. It's really stable, but I have some work to do before it's complete. I got it installed a day or so ago so bear with me.

Here's my build thread (scroll to end of thread for the OS X bits)

http://forums.msiwind.net/mac/new-nanomac-t5413.html

Here's the latest:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=140306

Sound: No

Video: Yes, 1024x600x32 CI+HA & QE

LAN: Yes

WiFi: Yes, sorta (requires -f boot at present)

Trackpad/Keyb: Yes (though I use a USB mouse)

I installed VMware Fusion with a dream of running MediaPlayerClassic-HomeCinema from the CCCP package under nLitedXP and viewing 720p video. Not. a. chance.

Everything else under Fusion runs quite well, and the Unity function is amazing but video is just too much for the little machine under those circumstances.

Under OS X native Quicktime chokes on the files I have tried. MPlayer OSX Extended does too. VLC will play them, quality is severely lacking. I'm starting to love OS X, but having much better support for h.264 video on XP/Vista is a big surprise (and disappointment.) With XP & CCCP/MPC-HC on the same machine I can play most 720p videos I've thrown at it. The 24% overclock function of the Wind (BIOS 1.09 and up,) comes in handy for this.

Anyway, I'm starting to really dig OS X and intend to keep it and learn it, so I may go dual-boot for movie time and wait for better video support to come.

I have a good start on MSI Wind running Boot132+EFI. It's really stable, but I have some work to do before it's complete. I got it installed a day or so ago so bear with me.

Here's my build thread (scroll to end of thread for the OS X bits)

http://forums.msiwind.net/mac/new-nanomac-t5413.html

Here's the latest:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=140306

Sound: No

Video: Yes, 1024x600x32 CI+HA & QE

LAN: Yes

WiFi: Yes, sorta (requires -f boot at present)

Trackpad/Keyb: Yes (though I use a USB mouse)

I installed VMware Fusion with a dream of running MediaPlayerClassic-HomeCinema from the CCCP package under nLitedXP and viewing 720p video. Not. a. chance.

Everything else under Fusion runs quite well, and the Unity function is amazing but video is just too much for the little machine under those circumstances.

Under OS X native Quicktime chokes on the files I have tried. MPlayer OSX Extended does too. VLC will play them, quality is severely lacking. I'm starting to love OS X, but having much better support for h.264 video on XP/Vista is a big surprise (and disappointment.) With XP & CCCP/MPC-HC on the same machine I can play most 720p videos I've thrown at it. The 24% overclock function of the Wind (BIOS 1.09 and up,) comes in handy for this.

Anyway, I'm starting to really dig OS X and intend to keep it and learn it, so I may go dual-boot for movie time and wait for better video support to come.

You can try Movist. For me it plays 720p with no lagging

You can try Movist. For me it plays 720p with no lagging

Thank you. Turns out the two files I'm trying are not h.264. One is MPEG-2 (HDTV recorded from a HDHomeRun with VistaMediaCenter) and the other is XVid. :angel: Movist won't play the former, and the latter looks good up until it just pauses for no reason (and it's not a particularly large/intense file.)

I'll try a couple proper h.264 files, but I have a feeling I'll be missing MPC-HC. It's like VLC in that it will play anything you throw at it, but the quality kills VLC everytime.

Here's what the CCCP guys say about the status of their offering on a Mac.

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php...CCP_on_Mac_OS_X

Too bad.

Thanks again, and OP, sorry to get your thread off track so quickly. :D

• 4 weeks later...