Old Geforce4 on laptop

gabiz_ro

11 posts in this topic

For few days I try to install mac on my laptop.

Tryied many version but only one seems to can install,iDeneb.

Laptop is a bit older,Toshiba S2450-114

-motherboard toshiba portable pc (chipset i845E)

-Processor 2,6Ghz SSE2 (soon will be some Prescott 3.0Ghz SSE3 if motherboad will suport)

-video Geforce4 420 Go 32Mb RAM

-others ... for moment not interesing.

Main problem I can't get video to work.

Normal boot bring me white screen with a spinning wheel wich after few time freeze,but only image is freeze becouse after few moments I hear some speaking introduction.

Verbose boot -v bring me to some message about intel agp but message varry becouse I do many changes sometime.

For kext I modified first time NVDANV10Hal.kext (and the others ofcourse) geforce4 420 go is NV17 and maybe this is the one but don,t work,then restore NVDANV10Hal.kext with original and modify NVDANV20Hal.kext and so on but without any luck.

Installation is ok,I have good graphic,at boot time display is switched from low resolution to high resolution but when video must go on just freeze.

I made a ioreg dump but from terminal (started -s at boot) and no information inside could help me.

Maybe some script running during install can read info wich I could use for NVCAP.

Also if I edit plist from linux without altering permision is ok or is bad to do that?

I have installed xp mandriva and soon hope macos.

Any help or info is welcome.

Thanks.

Now I boot again into installer and open terminal and dump ioreg to file,next change root to mounted partition where is os installed and dupm ioreg to another file.

Anybody have some ideea what else I can check now?

Where to look to see wich parameters have display now?

From installer I open system profiler and at hardware-graphics/displays show

type display

bus pci

vram 64MB

vendor nvidia (0x10de)

device id 0x0175

rev id 0x00a3

kernel extension info no kext loaded

displays

display connector

and there is empty.

how can I load and what to see more detailed info?

Finally I have image on my laptop display.

Don't know what really make this but I took all nvidia files from kalyway_10.5.3_ComboUpdate and replace original in /Sysyem/Library/Extensions

but no result still freeze with apple logo

next I try with "Graphics Mode=1024x768x32@60"

but still freexing

then I edit com.Apple.Boot.plist and inserted some key value

Graphics Mode 800x600x32@60

dispaly-connect-flags 00000000

IODisplayConnectFlags 00000000

IODisplayPrefsKey IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PCI1@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/VGA@0/.Display_boot/display0/AppleDisplay-756e6b6e-717

wich I have from ioreg dump from 10.4.3 osx86

after reboot I have image and continued setup

Maybe this info will be usefull for others with same problem with Geforce4 420 Go

But after putting back original kext image freeze again with apple logo

Anybody have some idea what to do next?

Maybe some modification in NVDAResman?

• 2 months later...
Guest fanculo

Hi, I have the same problem with a Toshiba Satellite S2450-401.

The graphic card is the same, GeForce4 420 Go.

I tried every version of Leopard: Kalyway, iATKOS, Leo4AllV3 (with/without Chameleon patch), JaS 10.5.4, iDeneb (1.3 & 1.4), and recently iPC 10.5.6.

The only ones that are able to boot from DVD, are the Chameleon based ones: Leo4allV3 patched with Chameleon, iDeneb, and iPC. JaS claimed to have included chameleon, but it's pc-efi.

On the last try (iPC), like you, I noticed that the system isn't frozen, I can hear the presentation, and if I digit some key, i hear the error sound.

I remember that the system worked with JaS Tiger, maybe 10.4.3 or 10.4.7, and NOT with some later jas version.

Can someone help?

Hi , I hope this helps in some way , I do not have a solution , but an experience with my old HP Pavillion zd 7000, after many instalations of " all " of the versions out there , I tried iPC and have a nice setup with 10.6. version, my experience is that the only way was to intall it with out any video drivers at all, I have an old GeForce 4 Go 5600 with 128 Mb video card, and my resoltion is now at 1024 X 768, I know my display can be better , but have not been able to get a better driver, I tried them all with only frozen screens, or no boot up at all. If any one have any ideas of what we can do with these old video cards , please let us know , Thanks for all the help in this great forum! :)

if you look up a few posts someone has already told you what you can do, the macvidia drivers will only get you res change but nothing else, QE and CI will never come to these cards, i had a dell c840 with the 440 Go and all i could get was res change and i had to use 10.4.10 and macvidia drivers to get that much

Thanks for the response , I will look for the macvidia driver to try , but you said that you it will only work on older version of mac system . will it work on the latest leopard? 10.5.6? Resolution change will be great at this time ! as you know some of us are new here and are searching for help to try to get the best system we can. Thanks again for all the help . ;)

Thanks for all the responses, but I have not been able to make my laptop to run a better display , I know under windows I had a great resolution(s) , read many postings here , but not for these old laptop video cards, so , would like to get a solution so I can keep the mac system , if not , I will have to go back to "wincrap". any help will be appreciated , thanks ........... :rolleyes: