Acer Aspire 5610, Intel WG3945ABG and ethernet not working

bpeugh

8 posts in this topic

I have a Acer Aspire 5610 and I can get everything to work from Kayway 10.5.2 to Kalyway 10.5.3 to the 10.5.4 Delta Update but the wireless and the etherent port. The wireless says it is Intel WG3945ABG and I have no idea what the ethernet port is. Could someone help shed some light. If they never will work, that is fine and I will move onto something else. Thanks.

I think I will try to change the PCCard as it would be easier. As for the ethernet port I don't know how to find that out as the drivers just show the generic Intel one for the wireless also. Sorry, only have been doing PCs for about a year and I am still learning.

Different machine here, of course, but same brand, anyway...

I swapped my internal Intel 3945 card out and never looked back. Drivers for it have been 'in the works' for over a year now, and I'm betting simply will never happen. Swapped my card with a Windows-only Toshiba laptop owner; neither of us lost anything in the deal, and I ended up with an Atheros 5006 that detects as a native Airport Extreme under OSX.

Other options are a USB Wifi stick, or a PC card. Initially my PC card slot wouldn't work either, but installing some more drivers solved that. Don't immediately give up on that idea.

Your Ethernet looks to be a Broadcom, possibly even a 5787 (this info is easiest to find in Windows, let me know if you need instructions). Depending on your device ID (mine's a 1693) you can get it working under OSX. You can't do anything until you know device ID, however. Each one is different.

Good luck! I now use OSX 10.5.5 as my primary operating system on a Acer Extensa 5620. It runs awesome :)