Seriously confused....

ComputerFreak

3 posts in this topic

OK, so I have a Dell XPS 630, Intel C2Q Q6600, nVidia GeForce 9800GT, 4GB RAM, nForce 650i chipset, etc.. and several hard drives (500GB), one of which is blank for OS X. I've done this several years ago with 10.4, but now I've decided to start over, and now I'm here.

I've read guides on this forum, and on the wiki, and am thoroughly confused. I own a retail copy of Leopard - can I install that on my computer with a little patch or something? If not, what do I need? I've downloaded iDeneb 10.5.4, and messed with the customize options on the install but the best I've gotten has had jerky video and sound, and the OS ran quite jerky and at some points, slow. I've downloaded Kalyway 10.5.3, and it gives me the little "x" over the Apple logo when booting off the DVD.

What distro should I use, is there anything special I need to do while installing it (besides messing with the customize options), and can I use my Leopard Install DVD instead of something else?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

OK, so I have a Dell XPS 630, Intel C2Q Q6600, nVidia GeForce 9800GT, 4GB RAM, nForce 650i chipset, etc.. and several hard drives (500GB), one of which is blank for OS X. I've done this several years ago with 10.4, but now I've decided to start over, and now I'm here.

I've read guides on this forum, and on the wiki, and am thoroughly confused. I own a retail copy of Leopard - can I install that on my computer with a little patch or something? If not, what do I need? I've downloaded iDeneb 10.5.4, and messed with the customize options on the install but the best I've gotten has had jerky video and sound, and the OS ran quite jerky and at some points, slow. I've downloaded Kalyway 10.5.3, and it gives me the little "x" over the Apple logo when booting off the DVD.

What distro should I use, is there anything special I need to do while installing it (besides messing with the customize options), and can I use my Leopard Install DVD instead of something else?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Firstly, you have an nForce 650i chipset MOBO, so cannot use the retail DVD to install , nor can you use a vanilla (i.e. unmodified Apple kernel)........suggest you look at my Pre-Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO thread and my Kalyway 10.5.2 and other install guides in my blog....... ;)