Leo4Allv5Server update to 10.5.5

valv`0

1 post in this topic

Abstract

Recently, i managed my hands onto an AMD X2 dualcore configuration from Lenovo with the following specs:

Product: ThinkCentre A61 9143-W4Y

Specs:

• Chipset AMD 690G

Athlon™ 64 Sempron 3800+

2GB

250GB 7200RPM S-ATA HDD

NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE 128MB PCIe

DVD Recordable S-ATA

Marvell Gigabit Ethernet.

PCI Ethernet RTL8139 Controller

After a quick look, i decided to use it as my new MacOS X Server since the old one was gone, due to many pitfalls in the system.

The shipped hardware wasn't what i wanted, giving me the opportunity to use some new hardware. The choice fallen to AMD X2

dualcore. The one i found was an AMD X2 5600+ Dualcore/SSE3 Compatible. Also, i bought some new ram. 4Gb is the max for

this mobo, so i opted for 4x1Gb Kingston DDR2/667Mhz. Harddisk was doubled by a new 500Gb/SATA2 Samsung one.

After the cosmetic fixes, the specs are as follow:

• Chipset AMD 690G

Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 5600+

4GB DDR2/667Mhz

500GB 7200RPM S-ATA2 HDD

NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE 128MB PCIe

DVD Recordable S-ATA

Marvell Gigabit Ethernet

PCI Ethernet RTL8139 Controller

Installed Leo4Allv5 with the following options:

X11 Selected

No Chipset Driver Selected (default AHCI driver was used, BIOS was setted accordly)

No AUDIO Driver Selected (Lenovo is shipped with a Builtin Monitor USB Audio Interface, that work pretty good with osx)

Nvidia Kext Driver Selected

NVinject/128Mb Selected

All Network Subtree Drivers Selected

All Applications Subtree Selected

Intel AMDCpuDisabler Selected

PS2Fix Selected

AboutThisMac Fix Selected

Kernel 9.4.0 no-vanilla Selected

SMBios Enabler Selected

SMBios-667 Selected

ACPIPlatform 1.1.0 Selected

BootLoader Chameleon Selected

All AMD Patch Selected

Nothing strange during the first boot. All devices work fine. However, after some hours of use i noticed strange behaviours,

occurring at random times and drivers problems, that i'll try to summarize here. After some investigations i found that the

log file /var/log/system.log was full of this lines:

Oct 28 13:08:03 mDNSResponder[32]: mDNSPlatformRawTime: last_mach_absolute_time 7EF9D3330000008F
Oct 28 13:08:03 mDNSResponder[32]: mDNSPlatformRawTime: this_mach_absolute_time 7EF9A5520000008F

Searching the forum and googling around gave me the solution. This problem is a known issue due to AMD dual core architecture.

Simply, the two core doesn't agree with the ticks issued by the kernel rendering them out of sync. This make the applications becoming

unstables with random crashes. To solve this, i used the voodoo_beta2 kernel, using the following parameters at the boot:

fsb=200000000 busratio=145

This give me a correct tick issuing:

Oct 28 19:44:30 localhost kernel[0]: TSC: Frequency =   2900.0001MHz, bus frequency =  200.0000MHz, multiplier = 14.5
Oct 28 19:44:30 localhost kernel[0]: Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Tue Oct 14 07:39:11 IST 2008; Voodoo; Beta 2c :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

Moreover, i found that the builtin AFP client (accessible with APPLE+K from finder) doesn't work properly. It give me all the time a

strange message saying that the address is not a valid address, eventhough I use smb:// or afp://. At first sight, i supposed that

the two problems was related, but a quick look onto search engines come back me to the fact that for some strange reasons there's

a broken link onto /System/Library/Filesystems.

Some guides point me to the problem but the suggested solution doesn't work for me. Even if my system was affected by the problem

described in the guides, fixing the linking doesn't help, so i decided to put a whole Filesystem subdir from a clean Kalyway 10.5.2 install

into my system. This solved my problem.

Last, but not least, is about the IONetworking.kext. Searching the system.log i found many of this lines:

servermgrd[76]: *** -[WPWebServices defaultWebServiceWithSession:]: couldn't obtain the MAC address of interface en0

This messages seems to be the root of the slowness about Webserver / Server Admin Applications. The problem is the IONetworking

kernel extensions. For some unknown reason it make the mac address of my en0 not pollable by applications. To solve this, i used the

one shipped with the kalyway 10.5.2 image.

However, using a 9.5.0 kernel with a 9.40 System.kext, is not a so called "smart move". In fact, many extensions give problems:

iPOD and/or iPhone, and all the other removable usb devices, cannot be mounted due to Mach.kext version problems.

kextd[25]: a different version of dependency extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext is already loaded

So, i decided to switch to 10.5.5 Server Update. Using the Marvin Decrypter/CPUID fixer, i packaged all the critical updates and

installed them. Switching to 10.5.5 take out the problems giving me a 100% working MacOS X 10.5.5 Server. Following there're

some detailed infos about the Server Update. It solves the following issues:

• update to 10.5.5

• AFP client Fix

• IONetworking Fix

• mDNSPlatformRawTime: last_mach_absolute_time problem

• random freeze problem

you can find it asking littlegreen about osxsrvupd1055.

Description

This's an incremental update to 10.5.5 Client/Server.

What you need?

- 10.5.4 Client/Server working installation (i use Leo4Allv5)

- AMD Processor

Howto?

• Doubleclick the installer, or go into Terminal and execute it.
  • After completed, go to APPLE->Software Update, and install ALL updates.
  • Reboot
  • Doubleclick into packagesFixer.
  • Enjoy

What do you do in my system?

Simply, i replace the changed files with a recursive cp (cp -R).

Thanks go out to

Eruanna, the OSX86 scene, leo4all team, uphuck, kalyway, jas, kabyl, voodoo_xnu kernel developers, and all the other that i forgotten (sorry dudes!).

ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

shootonehf7.th.pngthpix.gif