New to OS X. Couple of questions

cryptinitedemon

2 posts in this topic

So I decided to give Leopard a try. I use over 15 versions of Windows and Linux regularly and I'm currently trying out Tiger and Leopard.

So my first question, is there any sort of run prompt like in windows or ubuntu? In both of those it's windowsKey+r and alt+f2. I'm not talking about a terminal, but just a little program run prompt.

Also, is there a keyboard shortcut for the terminal?

RE Run Prompt...

In the upper right corner is a magnifying glass. Click it, then in the little window type the name of the item you want to run. PROBABLY the item will appear in a list as TOP HIT. If it does, press Return or Enter.

If the item is an application, it will run. If it is a document, it's owner will run and then the item will be opened by that application. for example if I type pine.jpg in the little window, Photoshop will start up and it will open the picture pine.jpg.

If you have an item you want to open frequently, including a folder, you may drag the item to the tray at the bottom of the screen. Drag applications to the left side of the tray, and folders to the right side. Items in the tray are aliases. When you drag them off the tray they disappear in a puff of smoke, but the original will remain where it was.

In a Finder window, in list/alpha view, you can type the first letter of the item, and tab to the correct item and press the command key and the down arrow to open it. If it is a folder, you can use command right-arrow to expand it and command left-arrow to collapse it. You can select a bunch of folders and use command right and left arrows to expand and collapse them all.

I hope these little quickies are a help to you.

:)