iDeneb 10.5.5 and ICH9M chipset problem.

Randomiser

14 posts in this topic

I have made many attempts to install this and just about everything I try fails. I have searched the forums and have found that this version of iDeneb should fix the still waiting for root device with ICH9 chipsets but so far I have not managed to get past the error. I have also tried the nForce patch in desperation with no success. Please help me ;)

I have made many attempts to install this and just about everything I try fails. I have searched the forums and have found that this version of iDeneb should fix the still waiting for root device with ICH9 chipsets but so far I have not managed to get past the error. I have also tried the nForce patch in desperation with no success. Please help me ;)

hi, i also have a ich9m chipset and it worked. I could bet that the boot hang up at something with the network like RTL8169 or mDNSresponder.

if it is so you only have to

boot with -x -v -s flags 

mount -uw /
rm -r /System/Libary/Extension/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Content/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

hope it will help you

• 2 months later...
hi, i also have a ich9m chipset and it worked. I could bet that the boot hang up at something with the network like RTL8169 or mDNSresponder.

if it is so you only have to

boot with -x -v -s flags 

mount -uw /
rm -r /System/Libary/Extension/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Content/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

hope it will help you

I'm having the same problem as Randomiser..!

Did the above fix work for you Randomiser?

Okay I have fixed this on my laptop now but it was quite a journey.

First off - My new HP laptop BIOS is very basic and doesn't allow you to alter the SATA, PATA, AHCI, IDE settings. This was the issue I had to work around as I was receiving the 'waiting for root device' message when trying to install from any of the Mac OS x86 versions available.

What I did -

1. Plugged an external USB2 HDD into my desktop PC (this isn't the PC I was trying to install the Mac OS on in the first place) and inserted the iDeneb 10.5.5 install DVD. REMEMBER to unplug any other HDDs in your desktop so you don't accidentally wipe your good disks.

2. Boot the DVD and you should get to the installation screens of the OS installation wizard. (your PC must obviously be compatible with Mac OS X)

3. Before beginning the installation of the OS, open the Disk Utility tool and repartition to the number you require. I chose three. One 12GB partition formatted at MAC Journaled, One 16GB as MS-DOS and the remainder as free space.

4. Now continue the install as normal and select your Journaled partition on your USB HDD as your target installation disk.

5. Customise the install with the drivers you require. TIP: Select the drivers one at a time and read the authors comments before making any rash decisions and trying to install the drivers randomly. I did this and my system worked first time. Also take into consideration the drivers needed for both your desktop PC (where you are building your OS) and your laptop.

6. Next, next, Finish and let the installation go. Took about 20 minutes on my PC.

7. Now, because my laptop doesn't have firewire I had to take one additional step here. Step 8. If your laptop does support firewire you can go to step 9 already.

8. Leaving the external USB HDD plugged into my desktop machine I rebooted and booted the Mac OS X from the external HDD. I was presented with the welcome screen and then finished the post-installation tasks until I ended up on the MAC desktop. Job done, almost!

9. Now take your external HDD and plug it into your laptop making sure that you either configure your BIOS to boot from that device first OR just hit F8 (on an HP laptop - this will vary on other brands) to open the boot menu after the BIOS post check and select to boot from your external HDD. Complete the post-installation tasks.

10. You will now have a boot-from-USB-HDD Mac OS X system to play with. If you would prefer to boot from your laptop and not the external drive you could take a complete disk image (captures all partitions) of the external disk and then transfer that image to a partition of correct size on your laptop's internal HDD. I haven't done this and I'm not sure I will now. This is how I wanted to boot to the MAC OS X at first but now I had a working OS booting from my external drive I'll probably just leave it on there. It's very convenient.

I hope this helps some people out there as I have received lots of help in the past and wanted to contribute something myself.

Cheers.

• 7 months later...
Okay I have fixed this on my laptop now but it was quite a journey.

First off - My new HP laptop BIOS is very basic and doesn't allow you to alter the SATA, PATA, AHCI, IDE settings. This was the issue I had to work around as I was receiving the 'waiting for root device' message when trying to install from any of the Mac OS x86 versions available.

What I did -

1. Plugged an external USB2 HDD into my desktop PC (this isn't the PC I was trying to install the Mac OS on in the first place) and inserted the iDeneb 10.5.5 install DVD. REMEMBER to unplug any other HDDs in your desktop so you don't accidentally wipe your good disks.

2. Boot the DVD and you should get to the installation screens of the OS installation wizard. (your PC must obviously be compatible with Mac OS X)

3. Before beginning the installation of the OS, open the Disk Utility tool and repartition to the number you require. I chose three. One 12GB partition formatted at MAC Journaled, One 16GB as MS-DOS and the remainder as free space.

4. Now continue the install as normal and select your Journaled partition on your USB HDD as your target installation disk.

5. Customise the install with the drivers you require. TIP: Select the drivers one at a time and read the authors comments before making any rash decisions and trying to install the drivers randomly. I did this and my system worked first time. Also take into consideration the drivers needed for both your desktop PC (where you are building your OS) and your laptop.

6. Next, next, Finish and let the installation go. Took about 20 minutes on my PC.

7. Now, because my laptop doesn't have firewire I had to take one additional step here. Step 8. If your laptop does support firewire you can go to step 9 already.

8. Leaving the external USB HDD plugged into my desktop machine I rebooted and booted the Mac OS X from the external HDD. I was presented with the welcome screen and then finished the post-installation tasks until I ended up on the MAC desktop. Job done, almost!

9. Now take your external HDD and plug it into your laptop making sure that you either configure your BIOS to boot from that device first OR just hit F8 (on an HP laptop - this will vary on other brands) to open the boot menu after the BIOS post check and select to boot from your external HDD. Complete the post-installation tasks.

10. You will now have a boot-from-USB-HDD Mac OS X system to play with. If you would prefer to boot from your laptop and not the external drive you could take a complete disk image (captures all partitions) of the external disk and then transfer that image to a partition of correct size on your laptop's internal HDD. I haven't done this and I'm not sure I will now. This is how I wanted to boot to the MAC OS X at first but now I had a working OS booting from my external drive I'll probably just leave it on there. It's very convenient.

I hope this helps some people out there as I have received lots of help in the past and wanted to contribute something myself.

Cheers.

Hi, I just bought a HP CQ35-124TX and I want to install Snow Leopard on it. It has PM45 + ICH-9M chipset, too.

Can you tell me the kexts you used to build you heckintosh?

Hi, I just bought a HP CQ35-124TX and I want to install Snow Leopard on it. It has PM45 + ICH-9M chipset, too.

Can you tell me the kexts you used to build you heckintosh?

Sorry this was a long time ago and I don't have my notes any more. I have a different laptop now too...