Mini PCI-E WiFi Support

m4dm4n

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is a redundant question that gets asked every other day but I can't seem to find any solid information on which Mini PCI-E WiFi card would be the best to go with for my Asus F3SC. I'm hoping to get something detected as AirPort native with as little trickery as possible, so I'm going to be replacing my Intel 4965. My main questions are:

1. I'm considering buying a second hand AirPort card off eBay or something like that. Is this going to work with my triple boot Vista and Linux? I know it's based off a Broadcom chipset but I don't know if there's something I've missed.

2. I've been trying to work out whether the antennae connector number matters. Most cards I've looked at like the Dell ones and the AirPort extreme have two connectors but my Intel 4965 seems to have 3. Can I just leave one dangling or should I aim for 3?

3. I've seen so many threads on the interbutt where one guy says "the xyz card worked perfectly in my system!" followed by "it was awful in mine!". Is there one killer card that I can be pretty certain is going to work?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Just to keep this up to date, I've gone with a Dell 1505 MX846 since I've read that it's roughly the same form factor as the Intel 4965 and there have been good reports of compatibility. Finger crossed that it's going to be accepted by the BIOS. I'll report on how things go when it arrives!

nitsujvg : you're not the only one.

i got me one of those ar5bxb6 hoping that it would work.

but my laptop mobo (hp dv8333cl) is rejecting it at the bios level.

i read up on few mobo bios firmware hack. but so far, it's not done jack for me.

so far, i have 3 wifi cards (intel 3945, rt2571wf, ar5bxb6)... and none of them are working.

i'm still searching.

if i find one that works well, i'll make sure to post it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I've got an update on this. The Dell 1505 card arrived today and it fits perfectly into the place of the Intel 4965 card, no problems there. I had to download Dell drivers to get it to work in Vista, interestingly. The default Broadcom drivers Windows provides don't work. Broadcom drivers seem to work fine in Linux. It's recognised in Kalyway 10.5.2 but only as a "Third Party WiFi Card". I suspect there is something related to the Broadcom 43xx hack going on here. I'm not sure, but I fear that the card will not be recognised as an Airport native card.

The card is very flaky in OSX. It refuses to suggest any hotspots to connect to and the status icon actually indicates that the device is disconnected at all times. Sometimes the card is not recognised as being present, other times it is; seems to randomly occur on boot. Can be very slow at times too. But apart from that, when it is working it works very nicely! I've used it at full speed a lot of the time, so most of the problems seem to be transitory. Not really a workable system but we're getting there.

I'm going to try a fresh install with iATKOS 4.0 to see how that goes, since I messed some other stuff up.

Just for the benefit of anyone considering a similar card, the problems I was having seem to be related to my card specifically. I seem to be having heat-related issues which are common accross OSX, Linux and Vista, so I can't really blame OSX for that. I'm going to try and return the card, I'll post here if I get a replacement of the same model.