Timemachine Problems on ideneb 10.5.5

derpuma

13 posts in this topic

Hi there,

was successful + having no probs with ideneb 10.5.5 install and my GA P35-DS3.

Now, as all is running (ATI HD 2600, ACL889a, Network, etc.) the Timemachine brings me an error.

The first Backup Timemachine did was fine, the second was broken, error message "backup volume not found".

The Volume is mountet and shown, a diskchek say no error in the partition.

Did a new format on the disk an added it as new Timemachine Volume, same error message.

Dir a fresh install, same problem, first backup ok, 2nd. broken.

Did that with another sata HDD and an extern USB HDD.

same Prob, second backup fails every time.

any ideas how to fix that prob?

best regards,

puma

So far i made the IONEtworkingFamily Fix and backup seems to work now.

What is wrong that the Timemachine Animation does not Start.

Any ideas? Every time I click on the Timemachine Icon in Dock, Finder opens two Windows.

Which version of the kext did you use? I'm having the same problem...but the one I installed didn't seem to fix the issue.

Thx

Thanks Law_zg -- just came back to reply that I got it working (but thanks much for the help anyway!)

Note: I was able to get Time Machine back by removing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist apparently there was a conflict with how the network interfaces were numbered.

thanks for the help, i do not think my prob is the IONetworkfamily kext. TM does its backups now.

What is not working is the animation of TM!

i tried the ati drivers from the ideneb DVD Install - AtiHDBase + ATI HD 2600 PRO drivers

as i said, timemachine backups are running through, but nor animation of the timemachine comes up if i click on the dock.

any ideas?

@LJSeinfeld

do you have the TM animation running?

Hey everyone! I am having the exact same issue as the initial post talks about. My TM worked very well, maybe some errors here and there but then it would work again. I am also using the Deneb 10.5.5 install on a Gigabyte DS4-X38 board and everything is smooth.

I made a new HDD into a TM backup and same error "The back up volume cannot be found" I can access my old drive and write to it just not backup using TM. I did install a new Security update on the 25th as well as an Airport Extreme update. Coincidentally, it stopped working after that. I tried all I can think of, verify, repair the disk(s) and the permissions and even the fix mentioned above with the SMBIOS replacement. I can browse my files and do everything except backup, even the graphics work when I enter time machine, I just dont see any of the backups that way. Sorry if it sounds like I am ranting on and not making any sense, its late and I have been trying to solve this for some time.

Anyone have any ideas what can be happening? Please help...

@Edwin7

thanks to bikinifarm i found this info, may it helps you: I think the Airport update was your prob!

For those of you who installed Airport Extreme Update 2008-004, it does break Time Machine as it overrides IONetworkingFamily.kext in addition to the IO80211Family.kext. (At least it broke it in my case.) The original update which got pulled (Airport Extreme Update 2008-003) was only overriding IONetworkingFamily.kext. Reverting back also involves a multitude of files in two frameworks plus a file in the /usr/libexec. And removing the receipt of the update. I had to revert all files back to before this update, and the timemachine kicked right back in. Do not install this update without backing up first. May be best not to install at all. You can see what is being installed where before you do so with Pacifist.

I had some issues after trying some numerous 'fixes' and none of them worked. I also checked out the Apple Discussion forums and some people are having similar issues although they are real Macs. I just did a fresh install and transferred from TM and now everything is ok. I just did not install the Airport Extreme update. Thanks for the help though!

• 2 weeks later...

I have that problem as well, installed iDeneb 10.5.5 and first backup worked 2nd didn't. I did manage to fix TM to backup by replacing and modifying IONetworkFamily.kext but I cannot launch the TM app to browse the backup.

I believe it has something to do with the GFX card. The network issue seems to affect the backup itself, the TM app I think is graphics. I too have an ATI card (3650 HD), and I have QE working fine so I'm usure of any steps I can take as the driver appears to be working fine.

I will look into this more over the weekend, and if I figure anything out I'll post back.

its your graphics card, ensure that when you check about this mac its got a kext loaded for the display and is not showing no kext loaded. if you actually search you will see a large white screen.I had this on a dell and sorted the graphics driver and it was ok. when you are using the framebuffer it will do this.

you also have problems with graphics programs.

Regards

Mark

its your graphics card, ensure that when you check about this mac its got a kext loaded for the display and is not showing no kext loaded. if you actually search you will see a large white screen.I had this on a dell and sorted the graphics driver and it was ok. when you are using the framebuffer it will do this.

you also have problems with graphics programs.

Regards

Mark