Yes! First Success! Still Have 3 Questions...

TheBarber

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was reading a lot on here and googling a lot as well, I finally managed to install Leopard 10.5.4 per "JaS.OSx86.10.5.4.Client.Server.Intel.SSE2.SSE3" on my Acer Extensa 5620z, everything I need is working, including sound, wlan, graphics, keyboard, trackpad. It took me a long ass time to get a Hackintosh even installed, I tried over and over again, then there was a time where I gave up on it and after several month I tried it again, yesterday alone I spent 10 hours trying to get it work and in the last 2 hours I had a working installation. :censored2:

Now that I got started I have 3 questions that bother me:

1. Booting Problem

Which bothers me the most is, that once I get into Leopard everything works fast and stable but to only get into Leopard I need 2-4 run ups, meaning I have to boot then turn the laptop off and boot again until it goes into Leopard. It never goes on the first time into Leopard, it doesn't matter if I turn the Laptop on on the next day or if I just restart it, I have to try several times until I'm in Leopard. I don't even know how to call this problem, so it makes me a hard time to search for it. Do you know what I'm talking about and is there a way to fix it?

2. Updates

I've read that updates can cause problems or even break the whole installtion, that was several month ago when I read that, since the scene improves fast, how is the stand now? What can I update and what not? The first thing I did was to turn off the auto updater, and when I now click on "check now" I have updates for "AirPort Utility, iLife, Remote Desktop Client, QuickTime, iTunes, Java For Mac, and Mac OSx Update" - especially on the last one, can I update to 10.5.5 from JaS 10.5.4 without having to worry, or do you have to do something before that in order to update?

3. Installing Windows

Now that I have installed Leopard after lots of work, what is the safest and easiest way to get Windows Vista on my Laptop running? I really don't want to break my OSx installtion because of stupid Windows, can't I just install Parallels like I would do it on a real Mac?

BTW I just bought a new iMac I needed it for making music using Logic 8, definitely a good investment, but I can't just throw over G for a Laptop too lol and for us europians it's even more expensive.

But I'm happy that I got so far.

Thanks y'all.

Peace.

TheBarber,

Sorry I don't know the answer to 1. Booting Problem or 3. Installing Windows, however.....

2. Updates

You can install all the updates that you want, iLife, Quicktime etc, no problems, however the OSX upate 10.5.5 needs a little bit more ingenuity:

(1) Updated to 10.5.5 with Vanilla Kernal via the Apple Website

Apple Update 10.5.5

(1.1) Download the update to your Desktop

(1.2) Open a Terminal

(1.3) type: sudo -s

(1.3a) type your password

(1.4) type: while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

(or cut-n-paste the above!)

(1.5) run the update from your Desktop

(1.6) when request to restart DON'T, kill the terminal command (CTRL+C or CTRL+X) first

(1.7) then click restart as requested

(1.8) at the 5 seconds countdown, press any key and type: update -v

(1.9) reboot again

That should be you up-to-date with 10.5.5.

:thumbsup_anim:

Heya!

I've probably an answer for question 3

3:

Unfortuatly you've installed Mac OS X already, if you installed Windows earlier, dualbooting is alot easier. And I can only explain how to install Windows XP, because I don't use Windows Vista, so I don't know what to do with Windows Vista, if you want that I explain Windows XP install, PM me or replay to this thread.