My first installation attempt... Wish me luck!

Ruddy

3 posts in this topic

I picked up the Compaq Presario CQ50-142US for a little over 500 clams this morning.

It came pre-installed with Microsoft's Vista OS. I created a new partition with the vista software by shrinking my main hd then using diskpart in the cmd prompt ( according to TheWolfster's concept heres the link http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry685707 ) to activate this partition.

After everything looked good, I restarted the machine, and entered the darwin bootloader, and hit anykey to boot from kalyway dvd. The DVD booted to the grey screen showing the apple and the grey loading wheel, but then a minute later I got an icon right at the top of the apple which was a circle with a line through it, the do not enter sign. I let it load for another few minutes to no avail.

So I rebooted, ejected the kalyway dvd and tried to boot back into vista, but got an error. Not sure which one but it was short and simple and my computer would not boot. I booted into the recovery partition that comes with hp computers by selecting it from bios, and had to "recover" my drive which took a nice deal of patience. I got back into windows vista, but I would really like to get osx86 working, which leads me to the question...

Is there anything else I need to do pre-install that would permit the dvd to load or is my dvd no good? As we speak I am working on obtaining Jas 10.5.4 and the newer kalyway 10.5.2 and will give these a shot.

Thanks in advance everyone. I have been lurking on this forum for a while now and have finally decided to take the plunge and give this a shot.

All help and suggestions are appreciated.

P.S. Just wanted to throw in some more information about the laptop:

Compaq Presario CQ50-142US

Intel Pentium T3200 Dual Core 2.0Ghz

3Gb Ram

250gb Hd

I burnt the kalyway 10.5.1 image on a DVD-R if that makes any difference.

I will be testing kalyway 10.5.2 tomorrow (thursday) morning, and I will post an update. I would like to get this working and hopefully add this model to the wiki database.

I would like to post an update with my "slightly" expanded knowledge. Let me just say the lurking on the forums and reading up is nothing compared to actually getting that osx disc in there and trying to boot and experiencing the unexpected first-hand.

Let me first start off with my kalyway 10.5.1 progress then in another post i'll try to get to my attempts with kalyway 10.5.2 that I just received this afternoon.

I booted the machine with kalyway 10.5.1 in dvd drive, typed F8 and booted with

-v

the -v will load the dvd in verbose mode allowing me to see whats going on, and low and behold I found my first problem, the dreaded still waiting for root device. I found a good explanation by U.C. on how to tell the dvd where the root device is ( I already had 2 partitions before adding the 3rd for osx86, Vista boot partition and HP Recovery partition ) heres the link to the topic:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=17421

scroll down to post# 16 for the explanation

So then I rebooted with -v rd=disk0s3

the 0 is the drive and 3 is the partition im shooting for according to diskpart in cmd prompt

I got a little farther this time but im still stuck in the install, here is the error which was reported:

BSD root: disk0s3, major 14, minor 3

nfs_boot: networking is not initialized

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x002D8DE): "nfs_boot_init failed with 6\n"@/Volumes/disk1s2/leo_xnu/xnu-1228/bsd/nfs/nfs_vfsops.c:851

Debugger called <panic>

Backtrace, Format-Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

-six lines of hex were right here-

didnt bother to copy them down onto my notepad unless someone can really use those to identify the problem

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel-task

Mac OS Version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin kernel version 9.1.0..(keeps going on with date/time and made by ToH then when finished),

and thats where it gets stuck.

Ok im going to try this again and play with the kalyway 10.5.2 distro, keep your fingers crossed ladies and gents!