Boot from old macbook drive (external)

TommyFiz

2 posts in this topic

I got a Macbook in October last year, and just about a month ago someone was kind enough to spill an entire beer on it and ruin it completely. Now me being a broke college student, I wasn't really trying to pay for another Macbook, so I ended up buying a Sony VAIO laptop. After purchasing an external enclosure to find out of my old hard drive was fried, I found out it was still completely in tact(through MacDrive) and that everything on it still worked. My question for you guys is, is it at all possible to boot OSX 10.5 from this drive without having to install a hacked version? I've switched around the boot order to boot from external first, but all I get is the black screen and flashing '_' in the upper right.

If not, I'd like to just wipe them both clean, install OSX on the laptop and XP on the external, as it seems like it's a lot easier to boot XP from mac than mac from XP. And what are the chances I could just use the Leopard CD that came with the macbook instead of downloading a 4gb file installing OSX on the laptop?

Sorry if any of this was hard to understand, I babble when I try to explain stuff on the internet.

Cliffs:

Broken Macbook

Want to use macbook hd on windows laptop

...that doesn't work like I hoped

Need help please!

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to run osx on a Windows laptop AFTER you have installed an operating system. If there is a way to install OSX directly, it is a deep secret of the hacker world.

If it were me, and the old hard drive was BIG with a lot of cool stuff on it, I would by a used laptop and pop the drive in there. You will need a few special little screw and nut drivers but I did it. You can find drive replacement how-to's online.

If I just wanted to get the files off, I would mount the drive in an enclosure and use it as an external. If it was hooked up to a Mac pc, it would be bootable.

:unsure: