How do I access the "C drive" in a Fusion Virtual Machine?

3 posts in this topic

I prefer to use Parallels because it allows me access my "virtual c drive" directly from OSX as if it were a physically mounted drive. I seem unable to do this in Fusion.

I unfortunately am not able to run Parallels anymore, as it does not play well with Snow Leopard. I must in the mean time utilize Fusion for work. The software I need to use for work is so simple, it was created in the days of win 3.11... I would like to access the work product that it creates to send via email. (It produces small .TPS files, aka clarion database files). It is much more convenient to log into the complany server via Safari to attach it to a company email and submit the work. With out direct access to the C drive, I am unable to access this work product easily.

I have also tried Crossover, which works well with the accessibility situation, but when a Copy & Paste is conducted from MSWord/Pages/TextEdit into the crossover "bottle" it strips all line feeds and changes all "carriage returns" into tabs....(a lot of the issues are directly related to unusal quirks of the software that is provided by my company, such as "CTRL-I, is what you press to make a TAB)

As you can see in my situation, I find this necessary to have direct access to the c: drive where the database app dumps my outgoing files.

I suppose dumping snow leopard is an option, but I don't feel like re-installing everything, and reconfiguring everything exactly how I like it. I have heard that parallels can be started with a terminal command to work in Snow...but I am not good with terminal and have not been able to do so, even with the latest version of Parallels.

• 2 weeks later...
I prefer to use Parallels because it allows me access my "virtual c drive" directly from OSX as if it were a physically mounted drive. I seem unable to do this in Fusion.

I unfortunately am not able to run Parallels anymore, as it does not play well with Snow Leopard. I must in the mean time utilize Fusion for work. The software I need to use for work is so simple, it was created in the days of win 3.11... I would like to access the work product that it creates to send via email. (It produces small .TPS files, aka clarion database files). It is much more convenient to log into the complany server via Safari to attach it to a company email and submit the work. With out direct access to the C drive, I am unable to access this work product easily.

I have also tried Crossover, which works well with the accessibility situation, but when a Copy & Paste is conducted from MSWord/Pages/TextEdit into the crossover "bottle" it strips all line feeds and changes all "carriage returns" into tabs....(a lot of the issues are directly related to unusal quirks of the software that is provided by my company, such as "CTRL-I, is what you press to make a TAB)

As you can see in my situation, I find this necessary to have direct access to the c: drive where the database app dumps my outgoing files.

I suppose dumping snow leopard is an option, but I don't feel like re-installing everything, and reconfiguring everything exactly how I like it. I have heard that parallels can be started with a terminal command to work in Snow...but I am not good with terminal and have not been able to do so, even with the latest version of Parallels.

Well....took care of the trouble...

I still wish I could get copy and paste to work right in a crossover bottle... especially now with the free giveway yesterday!

• 1 month later...

well.....still no luck.......

It looks now like the issue only occurs when I copy and paste from Word for Mac....If I use OpenOffice the issue does not occur, however OpenOffice has a few quirks with AutoCorrect that do not work the way I like that Word does it. (example: for a "autocorrect" that I have setup is to change "inv" to "investigator." ) MSWord will correct punctuate the word as "Inv" would become "Investigator," and if at the begining of a sentence ..."inv" would become "Investgator."

It appears on Open Office that any "autocorrect" after a tab does not work!!!

Otherwise open office seems really cool......

I hate windows....somebody please help!