iDeneb 10.5.4 install completed, but have issue booting

nbm_clan

2 posts in this topic

I've got a Shuttle SN68G2 with an Athlon x2 (SSE3 capable). I had an old 80 GB PATA drive that I've installed the iDeneb 10.5.4 OS X to (not dual boot, it's the only disk in the system). The install went fine as far as I can tell.

When it boots up I see this:

Darwin/x86 boot [blah blah blah]

[something normal about Nvidia]

[something normal about VESA]

EBIOS read error: error 0x1

Block 145175 sector 64

Block 145175 sector 64

Block 145175 sector 64

The problem is repeatable. I did some searching on this kind of error but the answers I saw were related to this happening when booting an install DVD. Ok, here's some questions:

1. Is this just a bad hard drive?

2. I wasn't around for the completion of the install. It ran for about 3 hours (I think?), I left it alone and came back and it seems to have rebooted from the hard drive. This is my first OSx86 attempt. When it is finished installing does it reboot automatically or does it prompt you for a reboot?

3. I did the 1 partition scheme with MBR option, and the journaling but not case sensitive file system option. This should be fine right? It appears at least the boot loader is getting run.

4. One guide I just found said it is critical to name the volume "Leopard". I think I named mine OSx86 or something else. Is this a problem?

5. Is it possible my DVD is at fault? It passed the validation test that the installer does. It's a DVD+R that I burned with Roxio. Should I try another burn?

This is my first visit to this forum so I'm sure I'm leaving out some critical info but I did at least read the "how to ask a question" sticky and did some searching.

Thanks in advance for the help.