Acer Extensa 4420

Housekat23

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I am extremely noobish when it comes to this. I have a acer extensa 4420. I notice some people have the same laptop and already have leopard installed. I've searched the forums and haven't found anything yet as far as a guide to installation. I have ideneb 10.5.4 and for the life of me can't get it to install correctly. I either get the boot screen with a no smoking sign lol, or no video at all. Can someone please post the customization setting I need to get this up and running? Thanks in advanced.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking around for answers on the same thing. Everything i've found seems to point to the fact that OS X has fairly poor SATA support so the only way to get it running on this laptop is to install it on a USB hard drive. Seems Kalyway or Leo4All will work. Haven't tried it myself, yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got MacOSx to run on my Acer Extensa 4420 WITHOUT having it run off a USB Drive.

Things you'll need: SATA to USB Connector, Screwdriver (to remove & replace your hard drive), and a Linux OS installed (For an easy way to manipulate a few files, a LiveCD may suffice), Partitioner Program (Like Partition Magic or gparted ) Leo4All v2 DVD (Only 1 I could get to boot!)

You'll need to take your drive out and plug it into a SATA to USB connector in order to install as Leo4All DVD does not recognize the SATA.

Boot the partitioner program and make sure you create a primary fat32 partition on your drive, and allocate at least 15gb for it.

Boot Leo4All DVD. This make take a few tries, as sometimes it boots and sometimes it doesn't. Keep rebooting and it will happen.

Remember which partition you created and use Disk Utility in setup to convert it to an UNJOURNALED HFS+ File system. You cannot modify a Journaled HFS+ File system in Linux but you can always make it journaled through OSX later if you choose.

Under customize select the AMD Fix and the Good Utilities at least! I wouldn't bother with the drivers. They're useless and take up space. Language files & fonts are optional but they add an extra 1.3gbs to the install. The install is going to take about an hour so go watch some TV or play with the kids!

After it completes, reboot into your Linux distro. You need to be logged in as root, or use sudo -i for root access in Terminal in order to manipulate files in an HFS+ partition.

Download the files found in the forums below:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=66399&st=0SB600 SATA Kext (For SATA Interface)

http://rapidshare.com/files/175319673/IOAT...y.kext.zip.htmlIOATAFamily.kext (Dramatically Increases Boot up) – Can't seem to find thread I got it from.

Open up your MacOSX install partition and maneuver to '/System/Library/Extensions".

Copy the contents of the SB600.zip first, then do the same for the IOATAFamily.kext. It will overwrite the IOATAFamily from the SATA package but thats ok. They won't conflict. Update 12/21: Make sure to reset the permissions for the 2 kext folders back to what the others are: Root has full read/write access, the rest are access only.

Now delete ALL KEXTs referencing ATI in the beginning of the filename. They don't work and waste space.

This is the entry I have in my menu.lst for the grub bootloader. You'll need to add an entry in your bootloader, be it Vista, XP or Linux in order for you to boot OSX:

title Mac OS X 10.5 ~ Leopard

root (hd0,1)

chainloader +1

boot

Update 12/21: Unmount the partition. I've found if I don't the HFS+ ends up gedtting corrupted. Unmounting it before a reboot appears to help. Reboot your system, choose MacOSX and boot with the -f flag at the darwin prompt (F8). This, I believe, rebuilds the Extension.kext file adding in the updated kexts and removing the ATI drivers you've deleted.

If everything goes right you should see the setup gui very soon to complete your MacOSX Setup.

NOTE: Wireless works but doesn't seem to be very stable. Audio, LAN and PCMCIA are inoperable (I have tried a PC card fix which appears to see the PCMCIA card slot but OSX won't boot to a GUI), and I have yet to get the res fixed to accommodate the widescreen. Also there's no battery monitor so watch your time otherwise your laptop will just shut off, not shut down, which could kill your partition.

But it boot & runs!