Extreme Noob to OSX86, help me sort throught this!

cmmcnamara

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm new to the OSX86 thing and I have done some reading on it but there is a lot of information to process and understand so I was wondering if some of you can help me understand some of it. First I want to ask about the proper method, I know what I want to do and have found threads but I can't begin to comprehend.

Basically I went and bought OS X from school, although I don't own a Mac because I've been wanting to do this with my PC. Not that I don't like Macs its just the price performance ratio that I have an interest in as a gamer. I have a 1TB hard drive right now with the first 600GB being used (not full just partitioned) between Windows Vista x64 and Fedora Core 9 Linux. The open 400GB is where I want to put the OS X installation as my third bootable OS. I read the couple of retail guides that were stickied but I don't really understand everything going on as a noob. To me it sounds almost like I have to download and boot into Kalyway to read the disk and install it from there, which if that is the way I must that's fine but I was hoping that wasn't the case. And in light of that as well, I know I can read .dmg's in Linux, so would there be a way to install from my Fedora partition?

Again thanks for any and all help and I look forward to taking advantage of my new Mac OS X (if I can't at least I have a cool looking $130 DVD! :) )

Can anyone help me at all?

Can anyone help me at all?

You are not getting help I guess because you are not providing enough detail on your system, e.g. MOBO brand and model, MOBO chipset, CPU spec, how much RAM etc.......also you seem to be asking for a easy way out.......with OSx86 it is "no pain no gain".......people will not do your research for you..... :)

Alright I've done a little digging into some forum articles, sorry for coming so ill prepared. I do not understand however the kexts. I have a basic understanding of them from one of the wiki entries but I think my conclusion is wrong. First bare with me as I am an experienced Windows user, an advanced linux user, and a noob to OS X. I understand the kexts to be "drivers" of sorts? Basically I need kexts which pertain to my specific hardware to get them functional in OS X? If I am correct in this thinking, are there available downloads for pre-existing kexts or must they be derived from a windows source (i.e., the ndiswrapper trick for certain wireless adapaters for linux)?

Alright I've done a little digging into some forum articles, sorry for coming so ill prepared. I do not understand however the kexts. I have a basic understanding of them from one of the wiki entries but I think my conclusion is wrong. First bare with me as I am an experienced Windows user, an advanced linux user, and a noob to OS X. I understand the kexts to be "drivers" of sorts? Basically I need kexts which pertain to my specific hardware to get them functional in OS X? If I am correct in this thinking, are there available downloads for pre-existing kexts or must they be derived from a windows source (i.e., the ndiswrapper trick for certain wireless adapaters for linux)?

Ok - we all have to start somewhere - so here is my offering - the previous reply is quality advice - basically you must tailor your installation to the hardware you have. In my case Kalyway 10.5.1 was an ideal solution. Most of the kexts (drivers are alraedy there) but some (graphics) had to be downloaded separately. You are going to be attempting a triple boot for your first installation - VERY ambitious. Personally I would look out for a cheap HDD and play at installing a single working Kalyway (or other) first. Good luck- and reasearch more and more - you will then receive some expert advice - I do not claim to be that expert!

Ok so I decided to try the 132 Boot method for the retail DVD. But I've run into a problem.

When I use either the original or modified kext .iso, when it comes time to load the leopard disk it begins reading it and then spits out:

EBIOS read error

Error 0x32 Block 16432736

Sectors 64

This made me think after reading some posts that my Leopard disk is bad but its like brand new out of the box. I just bought it like 4 days ago and just opened it today! Do I need anything additional to make it work or is this really a problem with my disc/drive. These are my specs:

XFX 780i Motherboard

E2180 Pentium Dual Core

8GB RAM

BFG 9800GTX

SH-203B DVD-RW Drive

WD1001FALS Hard Drive

EDIT: I began wondering if my DVD was bad so I loaded the 132 Boot cd in my laptop (Dell vostro 1500) and successfully arrived at the Leopard install screen. It also spit out the error but it did not affect the install. My desktop however at the point of finishing the bootloader sequence delivers me to a black screen which causes my monitor to read "No signal" as if it was a reboot and will stay that way until I push my reset button. The laptop at the end of the bootloader took me to the white apple screen and then to the install/leopard desktop. Any ideas?

Ok so I decided to try the 132 Boot method for the retail DVD. But I've run into a problem.

When I use either the original or modified kext .iso, when it comes time to load the leopard disk it begins reading it and then spits out:

EBIOS read error

Error 0x32 Block 16432736

Sectors 64

This made me think after reading some posts that my Leopard disk is bad but its like brand new out of the box. I just bought it like 4 days ago and just opened it today! Do I need anything additional to make it work or is this really a problem with my disc/drive. These are my specs:

XFX 780i Motherboard

E2180 Pentium Dual Core

8GB RAM

BFG 9800GTX

SH-203B DVD-RW Drive

WD1001FALS Hard Drive

EDIT: I began wondering if my DVD was bad so I loaded the 132 Boot cd in my laptop (Dell vostro 1500) and successfully arrived at the Leopard install screen. It also spit out the error but it did not affect the install. My desktop however at the point of finishing the bootloader sequence delivers me to a black screen which causes my monitor to read "No signal" as if it was a reboot and will stay that way until I push my reset button. The laptop at the end of the bootloader took me to the white apple screen and then to the install/leopard desktop. Any ideas?

Firstly, you have an nForce chipset MOBO so cannot use a vanilla kernel (i.e. unmodified OS X kernel), or install from the retail OS X DVD (BUT by buying the Retail OS X DVD you are supporting Apple and hence OS X, which is very good..... :) )......you need to used a modified kernel......check out my Leopard on Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU thread for much helpful advice on installing OSx86 on your system....... :)

kext = kernel extension , just like kernel modules on linux. You can load the and unload manually, just like on linux (kextload == modprobe) etc. You will probably need some kexts to make particular piece of hardware to work.

Ahh thank you satyr for that analogy, it makes much more sense now. Thank you verdant for your info regarding the 7 series boards, this I did not realize. So I am going to dig into this 7 series article but I am just wondering, because I am unable to use a vanilla kernel, does this mean I will be unable to use apple's native updates? Thanks again for all the guidance.

Ahh thank you satyr for that analogy, it makes much more sense now. Thank you verdant for your info regarding the 7 series boards, this I did not realize. So I am going to dig into this 7 series article but I am just wondering, because I am unable to use a vanilla kernel, does this mean I will be unable to use apple's native updates? Thanks again for all the guidance.

You will be able to update using Mysticus C* 10.5.5 Combo Updater packages.......read this thread carefully..... :P

Alright well seeing how I cannot use the retail DVD its gonna take me quite a bit of time to download the Kalyway or iATKOS DVD stuffs. I guess there will be a lot of reading until then!

Alright well seeing how I cannot use the retail DVD its gonna take me quite a bit of time to download the Kalyway or iATKOS DVD stuffs. I guess there will be a lot of reading until then!

I would go with Kalyway 10.5.2....... :hysterical:

Quick questions before I download one of these modified DVD's (it's gonna take me about a week I'm betting):

1) These are modified kernels correct? I'm assuming so because you have said that my motherboard will not permit the usage of a vanilla kernel (bummer too, but my Vostro runs it great!). If this is true, in what way are they modified? Does it mean that they have different kexts on them or is the kernel actually different itself?

2) Is the only version of Kalyway available 10.5.2?

Quick questions before I download one of these modified DVD's (it's gonna take me about a week I'm betting):

1) These are modified kernels correct? I'm assuming so because you have said that my motherboard will not permit the usage of a vanilla kernel (bummer too, but my Vostro runs it great!). If this is true, in what way are they modified? Does it mean that they have different kexts on them or is the kernel actually different itself?

2) Is the only version of Kalyway available 10.5.2?

The kernel itself is modified.......the Vostro AFIK has the Intel G33 chipset not an nVidia nForce chipset

Kaylway 10.5.2 is the latest availble Kalyway version......but to you can update to 10.5.5 so it is not really an issue...... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I awesome so I finally have the Kalyway .iso pieced together and I'll be testing it with in the next few days, got to knock out some midterms first though. Thanks for your help thus far!

Hey so I finally got a chance to sit down and test the Kalyway DVD but unfortunately it wont boot and keeps on repeating "Still waiting for root device". I suspect it may have something to do with the nForce mobo again?