Building a hackintosh for video editing.

1 post in this topic

Hello, all. I'm trying to build a hackintosh dedicated for video editing. I'm looking to build it for under $1000, and pretty much the only requirement is that it has to be significantly faster than my Macbook (First gen: 2GHz, 2GB RAM...) which I'm still going to keep around for traveling.

I have experience building PC's, but I've never made a hackintosh before. Now, from the various things I've read here and the wiki, here is what I've come up with:

Mobo:

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L

CPU:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

RAM:

G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

PSU:

FSP Group 400W

GPU:

PNY GeForce 9800 GT 512MB

HD:

Seagate 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB

Monitors (2x):

Acer X193W+BD Black 19" Widescreen LCD

I already have a case, optical drive, heatsink, mouse, & keyboard from my existing PC.

You can look at the newegg wishlist here:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=10963928

This all comes out to $866, and with tax and shipping it totals to $938, within range for my budget.

Now, I'm fairly sure I haven't made any major mistakes with my parts, but I just wanted to make sure. I also have a few other questions:

• I've read in various places that IDE devices causes some problems in setups, hence the SATA drive I chose. Is this also the case with CD drives? Because I have various IDE dvd drives laying around, but I still have room in my budget for getting a SATA cd drive if it's needed.
  • There also seems to be a consensus that 512MB video cards cause more problems than 256MB cards. Unfortunately, I couldn't really find any reasonable 265MB cards. Is the 512MB issue still an issue, or was I just reading old information?
  • I want this to be a dual monitor setup. Are there any special considerations I have to take?
  • I have a PCI firewire card that currently used with my PC. Can I just pop this into my hackintosh and have it work without any special drivers?

I plan on loosely following weaksauce12's "A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup" using the Kalyway 10.5.2 distro

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks.