Dell 1720

jojobobo12

4 posts in this topic

Let me get this out of the way first. I am new to the whole process.

I had a partner of mine install osx86 on my old Gateway 7322. It works okay, but there are several things that don't work.

I recently bought a Dell 1720 Inspiron that I use for mostly everything I do. But I am learning to enjoy mac computing. What I want to do is install osx86 on my Dell and do dual boot. I successfully downloaded iAtkos v2.0i. When trying to follow a guides "easy" instructions, I got the main installation screen of Mac OSX loaded but it couldn't find the a partition to install it on. When it said what partition, the area was blank.

The guide I followed walked me through the partition process using disk management.

While I have been trying to find the answers, I have come across sites stating that I can't have more than the partitions that are already on my system. And that I would have to delete the recovery partition in order to install the Mac os. I really don't want to go that route because I don't have a Vista installation disk, all I have is that recovery area.

Here are the questions...finally?

1. Can this be done?

2. How can I create a partition that will show up?

3. Does this site have a fairly easy guide (I don't have a computer programming degree) that will work for my computer?

Here are my computer specs

Dell Inspiron 1720

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

SigmaTel High Definition Audio (Sound Device)

Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family (Display Adapter)

If there is any other info I can provide let me know, I'm new.

4. Should I just not do it and try to find the drivers and programs so that my Gateway works perfectly?

Please let me know. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

hum

You can use a partition utility software to create the HFS+ partition.

Like the LiveCd Gparted

For example i had to resize my main partition where WinXP is installed to make some room for the OSX partition.

Expect that, you can go with the iAtkos 4i (10.5.4) works fine with my 1720. ( except wireless,

sound work after using Sonotone' Post installer, but not after I updated to 10.5.5.

and Reboot/Shutdown/Sleep don't work properly after installation of the video driver(or sound driver, though not sure which one). (have to hold the power button)