Legal DVD Copying

Papa Bear

3 posts in this topic

OK i got these DVDs i have made of my kiddos and i want to copy them for relatives. I have ripped all the files using MacTheRipper. Now what do i use to burn them to a blank DVD? The discs were made when i was still using Windows, so i don't know how to do this on my new MacBook Pro 15"

If you made those DVDs yourself, you didn't have to extract them with MacTheRipper (it's mostly usefull for bypassing copy protections). Toast can make an exact copy of any unprotected DVD directly, and I'm pretty sure you can find other disc burning software (on MacUpdate for instance) which can do the same (as Toast is quite expensive). You can probably do the same with what's included in Mac OS X, by creating a .dmg disk image of your DVD with Disk Utility, and then burning it from the Finder or from Disk Utility - I guess it should work.

Now, if, let's say, you've lost the original DVDs and only have the files you've extracted with MacTheRipper ( :D )... I think MacTheRipper gives you a "VIDEO_TS" folder, right? Then you just have to burn the "VIDEO_TS" folder to a normal data DVD. You can do that with Toast (best disc burning app on the mac, but expensive - it actually has an option for burning a VIDEO TS, but it's not different from just burning the folder on a data DVD), or you can check MacUpdate for any disc burning app that suits your needs.

(As for iMovie/iDVD, they're more usefull for creating new DVDs, not really for copying existing ones.)