Fedora 9, Windows XP, and Mac OSX 10.5.2 Triple Boot

1 post in this topic

I just wanted to post a compilation of information for setting up three different boot loaders to work all at once. This is just going to cover the part after installing the operating systems (there is plenty out there on that topic). I apologize if any of this is redundant or obvious; it is meant to be helpful.

I have a very clean triple boot of Fedora 9, Windows XP, and Mac OSX Leopard (Kalway 10.5.2). Grub is my boot loader of choice. Leopard is the default boot if you decide to select nothing.

There are no other menus, other than grub; and each OS is a simple keystroke and boot.

Here's what was done, after the install part of course.

Grub likes to take over, whether you install Fedora 9 first or last. So that's where we'll start:

1. Boot into Fedora as root or with admin privileges.

2. Open up Terminal and type in "sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst".

It should bring up something like this (below is my setup, I'll explain the changes):

# grub.conf generated by anaconda

#

# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file

# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that

# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.

# root (hd0,1)

# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/Root

# initrd /initrd-version.img

#boot=/dev/sda

default=0

timeout=5

splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/intel.xpm.gz

hiddenmenu

title Leopard 10.5.2

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

title Windows XP SP3

rootnoverify (hd0,2)

chainloader +1

title Fedora Core 9

root (hd0,1)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 ro root=UUID=6349f61d-7e51-44fd-b68c-52a9aaa41268 rhgb quiet

initrd /initrd-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686.img

"Default=0" means that the first boot (beginning with title) is the default boot for grub. So you can change the number or switch the boot text around to your liking.

The syntax for adding your boot devices is as follows:

title whatever you want here

rootnoverify (hdx,y)

chainloader +1

X being the physical location of your hard drive on the motherboard and Y being the partition.

Setting your default darwin boot is simply making the boot you want active by putting "makeactive" before "chainloader +1" (as I did for the Leopard boot). Save and restart. If you do add "makeactive", then more than likely when you select your Mac OSX from grub, it will default to another operating system, depending on your install order. And you're still going into the darwin boot loader menu with the time constraint after you've selected to boot into Leopard. So let's get rid of that.

Boot into Leopard and open "\Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration\com.apple.Boot.plist" with the default text editor. You have to be an admin to edit.

Here's mine:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

I added:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

This means that it does not offer the boot menu, it simply goes directly into the default OS.

Well there you go. Now all you have is three custom titles to choose from in grub and each takes one keystroke to boot into; or of course you can do nothing and let it boot into your default for grub.

I hope this was clarifying.

Indents and Italics are missing, because I copied and pasted this in from text editor. Sorry.