Will Shutting Down Manually Everyday Hurt Your PC? (Holding the Power Button to Shutdown)

ac3

7 posts in this topic

my hackintosh doesn't shutdown, sleep or restart. but it is stable using retail Leopard and Boot-132. I'm using my hackintosh everyday. is this bad for my PC components? I'm shutting down my pc after i see the "CPU Halted" on my screen and after my monitor goes to standby.

Well, computer components heat up when they are on, and when they heat up they expand. If you expand and contract a solid it will eventually break in one way or the other. A great answer for Hacks are to use a 80+ rated power supply and a good set of fans. Everything stays cool, it's efficient, and good fans should be quite. Being able to customize the fan regiment in the case was one of my biggest draws to osx86.

Also OSX runs some cron jobs in the middle of the night. I think at 2:15 or something like that. You can run these manually with Onyx.

my hackintosh doesn't shutdown, sleep or restart. but it is stable using retail Leopard and Boot-132. I'm using my hackintosh everyday. is this bad for my PC components? I'm shutting down my pc after i see the "CPU Halted" on my screen and after my monitor goes to standby.

Your PC components could care less for the most part, it's your data that's affected during improper shutdowns. :unsure:

No, you're fine, in this case it's just a matter of the OS not being able to switch off the hardware when it's done with it.

Now, it would be different if you were just powering off right from the desktop, this would probably lead to some serious filesystem problems but more than likely no hardware problems.