A Simple Question, I hope...

ethic

2 posts in this topic

My Machine is a Dell Vostro 410 and Kalyway 10.5.2 works like a dream - no modifications needed.

Here's what I would like to do, and I'm unsure if there are any disadvantages to setting up my machine this way; so before I do I thought I would ask here.

It would be useful for me to be able to use OSX, and be able to use parallels to get into my WinXP while I am working without rebooting (Just like a Mac Pro). I ALSO want to be able to boot into XP directly for heavier lifting (photoshop, possibly a game, etc)

So if I use Kalyway 10.5.2 - then install bootcamp (so I can use parallels) then partition, etc. to use WinXP in Bootcamp, will the bootcamp version of XP run as fast, work with my Dell hardware as well as if I just installed it natively (just installing it to a hard-drive using the XP installer)?

Does Boot Camp interfere with the drivers, etc?

I'm not a heavy gamer, but I use photoshop extensively in both platforms. The reason I want to do this is the new version of Parallels will use an existing bootcamp install, but not an install that is on another HD.

So if I set it up this way, I know that I will have lower performance in parallels, but will there be any disadvantages in performance vs. a regular install when just booting into XP via Boot Camp? (I realize I can't do parallels if I do a regular dual boot, but performance in XP is the most important issue for me).

Any input, suggestions?

thanks much!

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot install boot camp on a machine that is not made by Apple.

It is never going to happen.

It is part of the firmware of the EFI system.

EFI has replaced what your computer uses called a BIOS

The only thing you can do is a "regular dual boot"

Boot camp allows Intel Mac users to do that "regular dual boot"

It is only there to let Mac users to choose what operating system to boot that is it.