Atheros AR-5BXB6

mixomix

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have this miniPCIe wifi card in my lappy (Dell XPS M1530) and AFAIK it should be natively supported and recognized as AirPort. But I can't get it to work - tried several drivers (from intelupdate package - wireless problems guide), editing Info.plist or Networkinterfaces.plist (or .bundle - i dunno ATM) in their respective locations and no luck.

Only thing i can achieve is that OSX says that i have an AirPort (which is permanently off) but no Airport card installed.

My laptop has 3 slots for miniPCIe I tried swapping the card among them with no results.

Please share your advices.

does lspci see the card? download osx86tools and run lspci from there.

If it does, then check your id's from lspci against the info plist. also search to see if your ID is even compatible at all. If still not working, you can pick up a dell broadcom card up off ebay for about $20. IIRC it's the 1490 but do some research. also, if you do buy one on ebay, stay away from the guy in Austin, TX. I've bought 4 cards and all but one were defective.

This card is driving me nuts!

On the back of the card is written AR5BXB6 in DPCImanager i get AR5212 chipset. AR5212 equals to AR5002G but AR5002G is not PCI express :(

Someone had the same problem here , so maybe i will solve that.

beaups: Hi, this card was originally bought for my brothers Thinkpad where it worked in OSX out of the box - that is real strange. Obviously he does not know the distro nor the version he had ... :/