Dell Latitude D820 - 95% perfect with iatkos

seeruk

3 posts in this topic

OK Dell Latitude D820 working to almost perfection!

I used iatkos v4i (i.e. leopard 10.5.4.) disc to install, and the titan drivers that are part of that cd.

Network Card BCM5752 I got working perfect now (with real MAC address and DHCP - no crashes so far!)

Sound I patched with stac9200.txt and seems flawless (though not given a heavy test such as a game or something yet)

But I have a few outstanding issues I am hoping you guys can help me out with.

- Wireless - Intel Pro 3945ABG I know this is not going to work in the near future so I may invest in a compatible card such as the dell 1390

- Dual Display - This I cannot get to work at all. I have the monitor plugged directly into the vga port of the laptop, yet the display applet just wont detect it. Is this a problem with the titan driver?

-PCMCIA Port - Doesnt seem to detect anything plugged into it

- Shutdown - Shutdown doesnt complete properly. The OS shuts down but the power remains on

- Running with only 1 core - I had to disable a core in the BIOS to get it to boot, anything I can do to reenable the second core?

Really as the machine stands, its 100% usable for me, the biggest issues are the wireless but I can live without that for a while, but mainly the external vga output is a big minus for me as have a 24" dell just staring at me :) . The others are just annoyances but would be nice if any of them can be ironed out.

As an update (and a sneaky bump!) here is the experience so far.

This little laptop has been super duper damn stable over 48 hours of HARD use. The only issue I had was Word 2008 consistently hanging after 20 -30 seconds of editing in a particularly huge document. That was resolved by updating Office 2008 to 12.1.2.

Otherwise performance is superb, can't fault it in any way.

Hacked sound has worked great even in some pretty heavy gaming.

Hacked LAN has also been absolutely flawless even under heavy torrent load.

On the software side I have installed the following:

Office 2008 - Works great after update to 12.1.2

Citrix ICA Client - Perfect

Firefox 3 - Perfect

Lightroom 2 - Perfect even with RAW

Aperture 2 - Perfect though havent used it as heavily as LR2

Stellarium - Perfect

VMWare Fusion - Perfect!!!!! This I was really surprised by. I won't actually use it for anything other than internet explorer which is required by some work systems

ITunes 8 - Perfect - iPhone also has no problems

VLC - Perfect

Adium - Perfect,though having some issues working around work's proxy banning of talk.google.com

So this little baby is here to stay as my main work laptop. Gotta say I am super surprised by the outcome. If only the wifi was supported out of the box it would be the perfect little hacklapintosh :(

Still my main bugbear is the external display, if anyone could help with that it would be great! More detail on that is that I canuse Fn+F8 to switch to the external display all the way through the booting screens... right up to the point where the Login screen appears at which point it hops back to the laptop display. FnF8 doesnt work after that point and the display applet does not detect that the display even exists.

• 10 months later...
As an update (and a sneaky bump!) here is the experience so far.

This little laptop has been super duper damn stable over 48 hours of HARD use. The only issue I had was Word 2008 consistently hanging after 20 -30 seconds of editing in a particularly huge document. That was resolved by updating Office 2008 to 12.1.2.

Otherwise performance is superb, can't fault it in any way.

Hacked sound has worked great even in some pretty heavy gaming.

Hacked LAN has also been absolutely flawless even under heavy torrent load.

On the software side I have installed the following:

Office 2008 - Works great after update to 12.1.2

Citrix ICA Client - Perfect

Firefox 3 - Perfect

Lightroom 2 - Perfect even with RAW

Aperture 2 - Perfect though havent used it as heavily as LR2

Stellarium - Perfect

VMWare Fusion - Perfect!!!!! This I was really surprised by. I won't actually use it for anything other than internet explorer which is required by some work systems

ITunes 8 - Perfect - iPhone also has no problems

VLC - Perfect

Adium - Perfect,though having some issues working around work's proxy banning of talk.google.com

So this little baby is here to stay as my main work laptop. Gotta say I am super surprised by the outcome. If only the wifi was supported out of the box it would be the perfect little hacklapintosh :)

Still my main bugbear is the external display, if anyone could help with that it would be great! More detail on that is that I canuse Fn+F8 to switch to the external display all the way through the booting screens... right up to the point where the Login screen appears at which point it hops back to the laptop display. FnF8 doesnt work after that point and the display applet does not detect that the display even exists.

How did you get the PCMCIA Slot to work?