Leopard 10.5.2 Installation on Dell D810

Vivesco_1001

3 posts in this topic

Update 13.10.2008:

After fiddling around with my D810, I found out that when the power adapter is plugged in, the kernel gets the incorrect signal which causes it not to boot. If I start, KalyStick on battery only, it boots and when I plug the power adapter it continues until OSX's power saver features puts it to sleep. This "New feature", I have never encountered.

I will test on different installation process with and without the power. All my past tests was with the PU plugged into my D810.

The saga continues....

Original Post 12.10.2008:

After searching all over this forums, no one has any guide to installing Leopard on a Dell D810.

On my D810, it has the following specs:

1. Centrino 2.13 Ghz, not a Dual Core, SSE2

2. ATI Mobility Radeon x300 128MB

3. 2GB RAM

4. Sigmatel Sound

The major problem on installation:

1. Cannot boot into installation screen on Kalyway 10.5.2

2. If for some reason, someone was able to pass the installation screen, but after initial boot after install, it will not boot.

3. No matter which kernel used, none of the installation screen will come up or boot up. Comes with many various errors.

After some fiddling and hacking, I was able to run Kalyway 10.5.2 on a Dell D810. Unfortunately, it is an "ugly" install.

Working:

1. Sound (mute works)

2. Internal Ethernet

Not working:

1. ATI Mobility Radeon x300 (128MB). Currently, booting from a standard video...still looking for the correct Kext.

2. Wifi (no surprise)

Not tested:

1. Mic and Headphone jacks

2. DVD Rom (but ejects works :()

Installation requirements:

1. Kalyway 10.5.2 on a 4GB USB Stick (installs quicker and can be easily modified to add or change kernels) with at least 15MB/sec R/W.

2. a second USB Stick preferred 8GB or higher with at least 15MB/sec R/W (I know it will not be performant as normal HD but it is easier to shuttle between my other laptop and D810) or an external drive with at least 40GB diskspace

3. a second laptop or PC that already runs a MAC OSX or can at least boot the Kalyway 10.5.2 passed the Installation Screens.

Installation:

1. From the extra laptop or PC, boot the Kalyway Distro and select English for the language.

2. Insert the 2nd USB stick or drive for here on referred to "KalyStick"

3. Open DiskUtility and format KalyStick with Journaled and GUID partition. Give it a Label. I called my "KalyStick". Exit DiskUtility.

4. From the installation screen, select KalyStick where to install OSX.

5. VERY IMPORTANT: select Customize

6. Select the following:

Kernel: SleepKernel and SpeedStepKernel only while they are SSE2 compatible.

Video: NONE. No video drivers must be select.

Sound: add Sigmatel for Dell 9200

JAS SSE2: select all options (i don't know if this helped but it is what I have selected).

7. Continue with the installation. It will take about 1hour.

8. Once it completes, take KalyStick to the D810.

9. Boot from it. If you get the welcome screen GREAT! If not go to next Post Installation.

Post Installation:

1. Take KalyStick to a running MacOSX

2. Open Terminal, sudo -s, enter your password, do the following commands:

rm -r /Volume/KalyStick/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA*.*

rm -r /Volume/KalyStick/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.*

rm -r /Volume/KalyStick/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

3. Using the same Terminal, Edit com.apple.Boot.plist ( /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist )

It should have the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-legacy</string>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

4. Save the file and exit Terminal

5. Eject KalyStick.

6. Boot KalyStick on your Dell D810 and Enjoy.

As I mentioned, this is an "ugly" install. I am still looking around for the following:

1. ATI Mobility Radeon x300 kext

2. Wifi driver but I will replace it with something compatible for OSX.

3. Ways to speed it up the ruddly performance. The performance is not up to my normal standards. But I will copy my KalyStick onto a the Internal HD to see if better performance. Also look around the web for Optimization fixes.

Not pulling off the rest of my hair or whats left of it.

Vivesco_1001

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Have you have any luck in moving the install from the USB Key to the HDD. I managed to get the install working perfectly via booting from the USB Key on my Dell D810, but it is painfully slow. I would like to get it to boot from the local HDD but don't have a clue on how to move the data.

The Local HDD does have a "working" version of 10.5 installed, basicall no networking cabibilities at all.

Let me know if anyone can help.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but this is the only for Dell D810 an i have new elements

3. Ways to speed it up the ruddly performance. The performance is not up to my normal standards. But I will copy my KalyStick onto a the Internal HD to see if better performance. Also look around the web for Optimization fixes.

I have installed Idened on my Hard Drive. You can see this topic : TOPIC

The Ideneb lite cd 1.6 (that is mac os x 10.5.8) boot and install with no problems. You just need to select an PS2 kext and an ATA Kext.

There is kext for wifi : IwiDarwin

for Ati X300 : Topic kext ati

If this post help you, can you help me to install Leopard on me Dell D810 : My topic