Will these components work?

7 posts in this topic

I already have a brand new 450w power supply, do you think that is good enough?

No reason for that motherboard, besides that it had good reviews and was compatible with installing Mac. Motherboards are probably the thing I know the least about. That one you suggested looks really good, but the problem with that one is that the memory costs a lot more for the 1200 compared to the 800.

I already have a brand new 450w power supply, do you think that is good enough?

No reason for that motherboard, besides that it had good reviews and was compatible with installing Mac. Motherboards are probably the thing I know the least about. That one you suggested looks really good, but the problem with that one is that the memory costs a lot more for the 1200 compared to the 800.

450w is plenty.

Remember, you can use DDR2 800 memory with a board that can take higher memory- it'll perform the same as 800 memory on a lesser board. It's just that when you want to upgrade, you can use a higher speed memory up to the max of 1200. With the other board, you're limited to 800 only.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your choice of board, just for Hackintosh I think you might be paying a little more for features you may not even use- like HDMI video out. For around the same money, you can get a full-sized ATX board with more features that benefit the Hackintosh.

Since you want something as easy as possible to work with, I'd recommend looking at install guides on this site, and checking the HCL wiki for your mobo picks. (Unfortunately, I don't see the EP45-DS3R on the HCL wiki- it's much more productive for everyone else to have to guess and post a gazillion asking threads, rather than someone take 5 minutes and share their info on there, so I've learned.)

I've found Gigabyte boards that work for Hackintosh to be well documented and easy to work with when its the right type. (I haven't personally used G45/P45 boards though, but several G31/P31 and P35 boards, all of which were easy installs)