Make Unallcoated Space Detectable

Mike Waggz

3 posts in this topic

I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2 and when I go to choose my hard drive in Disk Utilities it isn't there. It's just the disk. So then I go to "New Image" And try that but whenever I press Create it always gives me a "Bad Master Directory" and doesn't work so I'm just stuck.

I'm not sure I really understand what you're trying to do since you talk about creating a new image ?

BUT I'm going to assume that you're just confused by Disk Utility and what you really want to do is just install to the unallocated space on your drive like you would with other OS'es.

Make a partition ahead of time in the unallocated space, you can make it fat or ntfs or hfs+ or pretty much whatever you want. Now when you open Disk Utility it will see the partition, click on it then select erase, choose to make it a Mac partition extended journaled and pick a name for it then hit erase. Now when you start the installer you have a partition you can install to. You can use windows to make the partition but I suggest

http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic.php

BTW don't be fooled - Disk Utility is an extremely powerful tool, seriously, but at the same time until you figure it out it's a little retarded when compared to other partitioning utilities.