Laptop died after going to sleep !?

6 posts in this topic

My notebook (LEO4ALL 10.5.2, GUID, EFI v8, pure OSX no other OS, no secure chip) died after taking it to sleep.

No I don't talk about a corrupted harddisk or partition table, something that could be fixed with a new installation!

I removed battery and power plug for a long time but that rig won't boot anymore. Neither the BIOS screen nor any other message or graphics will appeare on the screen, it stays black. The harddisk and CD spins up shortly and quits instantly.

And the biggest issue, after some seconds the LED's for shift, scroll and numeric keypad are beginning to blink. The kind of blinking is a code that I identified on the manufacturers website as a CPU or motherboard error.

Has anyone any idea what has happened to my notebook??? BIOS or CMOS tampered???

It's dead, please help or at least give me some hints. (btw. I'm not a noob, the machine was perfectly installed, except sleep)

removed the HDD ?? let it rest for a day ??

1. No / 2. Yes

The mobo was changed and the laptop is up and running again now I'm searching for the reason so this could not happen again.

What's the sense of removing hard disk?

I read a post a while ago.....

This guy put his laptop to sleep, can't remember if he just closed the lid or actually used the sleep command, and shoved it in his bag, little knowing that the machine was actually still running at full bore but the fans were turned off, so it overheated in his "well insulated" carrybag!?

Just a question i presume you had it done under warranty AND they did not see that you were using MacOSX?

I always make sure, and yes I know this defeats the option of having a Laptop without sleep, that it is shut down before I travel!

I do use the sleep function if I quickly move from one house to another(5min) its always amazing to see other people's faces, one that you startup in 2 seconds flat!, and two that it then actually runs MacOSX!

StiCMAN

1. No / 2. Yes

The mobo was changed and the laptop is up and running again now I'm searching for the reason so this could not happen again.

What's the sense of removing hard disk?

Thanks for the hint, but it's definitely not a problem with overheating. I was simply testing to get sleep to work -> shut down -> reboot instantly -> nothing.....

Yes I did it under warranty. Luckily no complains about Mac OSX.

I'd give my right arm to know what sleep has done to the motherboard or maybe another component (but the mobo was the one that gets replaced)

• 3 months later...