Mouse support for Front Row, and 10.5.2->10.5.5

danvito

2 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have recently taken my Lenovo X61 laptop (Core2 Duo, 2Gb RAM, 100+Gb HDD, dual boot with XP) to the 'dark side' thanks to Kalyway 10.5.2. I have accepted every Apple software update other than the 10.5.5 combo, as the first time I tried this it killed the OS completely. I have sound working, no problems with video, etc. I have purchased an Apple Bluetooth Mighty Mouse and Keyboard which both worked within seconds of removing from the box. All-in-all, I am happy enough to start wasting hours un-learning all the Microsoft ways of doing things.

I have managed to get this far reading these forums and Google. There are a few issues I am having, and hope that you can help. Sorry if grouping items is not a done thing around here.

1. When I load Front Row application it seems to work fine, however there is no way I can find to use a mouse in it. I can move through the menus with the keyboard, but that's not really what I am after, and I don't have an Apple remote (no IR port on the laptop anyway). I have tried a MS USB mouse, the laptop's tracker and the bluetooth Apple mouse, all without success. Is there anything I am missing?

2. Is there any particular reason to upgrade to 10.5.3/4/5? If so, what is the best build for an X61 and what are the instructions to get there? Obviously a straight software update is not the way to go, and there seem to be hundreds of pages with bits and pieces on how to upgrade but no one clear procedure I can find. Appreciate a link, if someone's searching skills are better than mine!

Thanks

Daniel

Edit: removed Cisco VPN comments

Well to answer the first part, Front Row is not supposed to have mouse support. It's normally designed to be operated with the remote control that comes with a mac, no idea if anyone has gotten a generic PC remote to work yet.

As for the second part, its up to you. Personally if everything works fine and you're not having any issues, probably just stick with what you've got, otherwise try getting the kalyway 10.5.3 combo update if you want to go one step up, I'm running 10.5.4 but I used a specific update guide for my motherboard.