iATKOS v4i fails to install on nForce MCP 51 - Still waiting for root device

Voice

12 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install iATKOS v4i on my system, but the installer gets stuck at "Still waiting for root device". Interestingly though, the verbose data show that the AppleNForceATA driver by MeDevil actually loads.

When the DVD boots, I press F8 and then enter the "nforce_core -v" parameters. The relevant data for finding the root device is as follows:

AppleNForceATA: sata phy reset done.
AppleNForceATA: found 1 units.
AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 51 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x9e0, CTR 0xbe0, IRQ 23, BM 0xcc00)
AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 51 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x970, CTR 0xb70, IRQ 23, BM 0xe008)
AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 51 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x9f0, CTR 0xbf0, IRQ 23, BM 0xe000)
AppleNForceATA: warning: phy connection failed. status=0x00000000
AppleNForceATA: found 0 units.
Still waiting for root device
(...)

The "found 0 units" error message at the end simply means that there is no hard drive connected to the fourth SATA port.

What should I do now? I have an Intel C2D 6420 on an Asus P5N-E SLI (nForce 650i). I have three SATA hard drives by Samsung connected to my SATA ports. The E-SATA port from JMicron is set to disabled in the BIOS.

I'm trying to install iATKOS v4i on my system, but the installer gets stuck at "Still waiting for root device". Interestingly though, the verbose data show that the AppleNForceATA driver by MeDevil actually loads.

When the DVD boots, I press F8 and then enter the "nforce_core -v" parameters. The relevant data for finding the root device is as follows:

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 51 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x9e0, CTR 0xbe0, IRQ 23, BM 0xcc00)
AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 51 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x970, CTR 0xb70, IRQ 23, BM 0xe008)
AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 51 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x9f0, CTR 0xbf0, IRQ 23, BM 0xe000)
AppleNForceATA: warning: phy connection failed. status=0x00000000
(...)

What should I do now? I have an Intel C2D 6420 on an Asus P5N-E SLI (nForce 650i). I have three SATA hard drives by Samsung connected to my SATA ports. The E-SATA port from JMicron is set to disabled in the BIOS.

I have 3 SATA HDDs (2 Samsung HDDs + 1 Hitachi HDD) on my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO (650i) running Kalyway 10.5.2, Jas 10.5.4, and iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4 successfully......however on loading I have AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 55 by MeDevil......I also have a PATA DVDRW......do you have a SATA DVDRW.....

My DVD Drive is connected to the Primary Master IDE Port. The Secondery IDE channel is empty. It does not matter if it's enabled or disabled in the BIOS. Maybe I should try JaS 10.5.4 if I can find it. :)

My DVD Drive is connected to the Primary Master IDE Port. The Secondery IDE channel is empty. It does not matter if it's enabled or disabled in the BIOS. Maybe I should try JaS 10.5.4 if I can find it. :)

I would check your BIOS settings against mine......then I would try booting with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" (only need maxmem=2048 if you have more than 2GB RAM installed on MOBO) as per my iATKOS v2.0i blog guide........ ;)

I've managed to solve the problem! ;) Read on.

Appearently, the SATA drivers that are included with iATKOS v4i are not compatible with some of the nForce SATA chipsets, such as MCP51. Previously, I was able to install the unofficial iATKOS v1r3 release which included the right drivers for my mainboard. So to fix my problem, I grabbed the extensions.mkext file (which contains the kernel extensions the installer uses) from the v1r3 release and placed it in the iAtkos v4i ISO. I burned the modified ISO and there: it booted perfectly!

So, to sum it all up:

1. Download the file extensions.mkext as attached to this post.

2. Obtain a tool that can edit ISO files, such as PowerISO.

3. Use the tool to remove the original extensions.mkext file from the /System/Library folder of the v4i ISO.

4. Place the extensions.mkext file you just downloaded as the replacement.

5. Burn the thing!

Please note that you might need the fully registered version of PowerISO to be able to edit the iATKOS ISO file.

As for crediting the right folks: this version of extensions.mkext is the one that would appear on iATKOS v1 after using the patch developed by MysticusC to get it to iATKOS v1r3. Please note that iATKOS v1r3 is not an official iATKOS release (only r1 and r2 of the version 1 branch were).

Cheers!

Extensions.part1.rar

Extensions.part2.rar

Extensions.part3.rar

Extensions.part4.rar

I've managed to solve the problem! ;) Read on.

Appearently, the SATA drivers that are included with iATKOS v4i are not compatible with some of the nForce SATA chipsets, such as MCP51. Previously, I was able to install the unofficial iATKOS v1r3 release which included the right drivers for my mainboard. So to fix my problem, I grabbed the extensions.mkext file (which contains the kernel extensions the installer uses) from the v1r3 release and placed it in the iAtkos v4i ISO. I burned the modified ISO and there: it booted perfectly!

So, to sum it all up:

1. Download the file extensions.mkext as attached to this post.

2. Obtain a tool that can edit ISO files, such as PowerISO.

3. Use the tool to remove the original extensions.mkext file from the /System/Library folder of the v4i ISO.

4. Place the extensions.mkext file you just downloaded as the replacement.

5. Burn the thing!

Please note that you might need the fully registered version of PowerISO to be able to edit the iATKOS ISO file.

As for crediting the right folks: this version of extensions.mkext is the one that would appear on iATKOS v1 after using the patch developed by MysticusC to get it to iATKOS v1r3. Please note that iATKOS v1r3 is not an official iATKOS release (only r1 and r2 of the version 1 branch were).

Cheers!

AFIK the patch was developed by EqUaTe1......see here......but glad you got it sorted as many seem to have similar problems with iATKOS v4.0i..... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Using MagicISO for PC didn't work, however I was able to successfully patch the image with a program called transmac. However.... replacing the old extensions.mkext with the one in your post didn't fix my problem, either. :censored2: I'm still getting the "waiting for root device" error. I however have an nforce mcp55 as opposed to an mcp51, so I'm assuming this is the reason for my continual problems. I will try to see if I can find a solution for those with mcp55.

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 61 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x9e0, CTR 0xbe0, IRQ 21, BM 0xc400)

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 61 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x9f0, CTR 0xbf0, IRQ 20, BM 0xd800)

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 61 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x970, CTR 0xb70, IRQ 20, BM 0xd808)

AppleNForceATA: warning phy connection failed. status=0x00000000

ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

Still waiting for root device.

goes on for as long as you want.

ok after locating a vmware of osx and doing the following:

In terminal type

'sudo -s' then give password

then type

'hdiutil attach -readwrite /Users/Osxisapain/Desktop/iATKOS_v1.0.iso -owners on'

(osxisapain=your name assuming the .iso image is on your Desktop)

take awhile for the command to be completed.

I used the kext provided. and kablamo same #$%^&*. So I dont think there is a work around for sata people especially your on a pavillion. :(

• 1 month later...