Optical Drive Problems and Disc Utility Problems

nikftn

7 posts in this topic

First off, I screwed up somewhere. I have two problems that may go further, not sure how far.

The first is that my optical drive won't open with the keyboard command. Reason: In haste I dropped a photographic CD on top of one I did not know was in the drive and started the drive. This is what started the problem and I cannot find out how to fix it anywhere. At the same time I found that I couldn't use the Disc Utility, it will not open. It goes to the search HDD window and stays there. I bought two new optical drives from New Egg, Panasonic, and am going to install them. But, first I need to find out what to do. ( I have built PC's and installed the RAM on the Mac Pro and have never had a problem. I use a wrist ground)

I was a PC user for many years and finally got sick of keeping them running. That was the PC's OS's fault. So, I bought a Mac Pro and now have messed it up. The computer works fine and I can continue to use it but the aforementioned problems are killing me as I am a photographer and cannot PP my photos on the MP.

I joined your forum as you folks appear to be up to speed. Sorry that my first post is an admission of dumbness and ignorance. I would appreciate any help that you are willing to give.

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 9 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.005D.B00

SMC Version: 1.7f10

I just came by your forum to try to find an answer to fix my screw up. I wish I were more savvy to Mac. ( I edited this post as I understand that a lower case m is not the right aspect of capitals for Mac) Just am getting started. I know you folks are busy and I just am checking as I am doing things for clients and would really enjoy a lesson as to my problem.

In haste I dropped a photographic CD on top of one I did not know was in the drive and started the drive.

As with a PC, you have just fubared your optical drive, no "fix". If it won't open, it's jammed, disassembly required.

I bought two new optical drives from New Egg, Panasonic, and am going to install them.

Mac's can be kinda particular about the optical drives you shove in them, Sony drives are your best bet, if the Mac software refuses to "see" the Panasonic drive(s) use Toast for burning.

I was a PC user for many years and finally got sick of keeping them running. That was the PC's OS's fault.

Having XP installs that have been "up" 24/7 for 3 years+ I beg to differ.

• 1 month later...

fubarred? Sounds like a great derivative! Can you tell me whether, in your opinion, this would be mechanical, if so, what did my mistake cause to fail in the OD? I am always trying to learn what can go wrong and how and why.How about Panasonic drives? I saw a deal on these and I need two.

At one time, optical drives were actually made out of something, of course they cost $200, but if abused, they held up rather well. Now, the whole internal mechanism is made out of plastic, recycled plastic, that is very marginal, at best. Jamming 2 CDs in there has likely deformed the plastic beyond recovery.

There is a large list of "compatible drives" here:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

Personally, I did not grow up with Macs, so having not grown up with Macs, I do not need a steady supply of laxatives (old time Mac owners to me seem a anal retentive bunch). If you install a "off" brand of optical drive (one that the Mac os has no provision for) the operating system won't "see" it. What that means is that you will not be able to create a CD, or DVD, within the operating system (eg. iTunes, iDVD, etc.), but must rely on a 3rd party application (Toast) to do your burning. A "normal" state of affairs for x-windoze users, but a major disaster for the afore mentioned old time users. I generally use whatever drive comes to hand, but you may experience troubles booting from a "off" brand drive, something that WILL cause difficulty if faced with the need for a re-install.