HELP! GUID Partition table corrupt

ergosteur

4 posts in this topic

hello everyone,

I have a problem that involves about 400GB of my data.

I installed Leopard using the Jas 10.5.4 disc without issues onto a GPT disk. Once installed, I formatted a few other drives to GPT as well.

Then for some reason I decided to boot Hiren's boot CD to do some data recovery on a friends' HDD. The tool i used (i forget which exactly) detected my GPT disks as having invalid MBRs and (i assume) tried to repair them. Now my Leopard install doesn't boot; I get to ERROR: fireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure. Then all my disks shut off and I get the dreaded 'still waiting for root device' message.

Disk Utility on the install disc doesn't detect any of the partitions on my GPT disks.

Is there any hope of recovering the data (for free)? I've got lots of documents and pictures and music that would be either impossible or hard to replace!

• 1 month later...

Were you ever able to fix this? The same thing happened to me. Some partitioning program must have automatically tried to "fix" the GPT disk for me. Now all my data might be gone! :)

Disk Utility sees it as an MBR disk, but the gpt command line utility actually shows a GPT table and header and says there is a bad CRC in the GPT Table.

Any help from anyone that knows how I might fix or reconstruct my GPT table would be greatly appreciated!!

Success!!! :)

I was able to boot into a Ubuntu CD. It read the disk correctly (but could not mount the partitions). I changed some of the partition flags and then changed them back, hoping it would re-write the partition table at that point... Evidently it did.

I had to setup my EFI partition again (I have the setup described here), but it all seems to work correctly now.

i actually booted ubuntu and couldn't mount the partitions either... did some stuff with cfdisk but still couldn't mount them. In the end, I installed Windows on a spare drive and used R-Studio to 'extract' all my data.

edit:

heh just realized that cfdisk doesn't support GPT. must have used parted then ;)