XP + Ubuntu + Kalyway?

3 posts in this topic

I haven't been able to find anything really clear on how to get all three to co-operate. I currently have XP installed, with 130 GB of free space after it. Any guidelines I should follow? I have an nVidia chipset. Is Kalyway 10.5.2 the best tool I should use for installlation?

I had this configuration working successfully. Install Ubuntu next. During installation configure the partitions manually and make one ext3 and one swap for Linux and leave some space for the OS X install. Leave the current XP partition intact. Ubuntu will install grub and detect the

Windows partition and let you choose which one you want to boot. Install Kalyway next on the free partition. Make sure to use the disk utility to format the partition to HFS+ Journaled first. You will need to edit the menu.list for grub to add Kalyway to the boot menu. It's under /boot/grub/menu.list I think. Just look at the Windows XP entry and copy and paste it. Change the partition number accordingly. Ask me if you have problems. Oh, choose nForce kernel during OS X installation. Vanilla kernel will not work with nForce boards.

• 1 month later...

I have installed Kalyway and now I can't seem to boot from it. I have set up grub the way mentioned above and when I select OS X I get the 'press F8 for advanced startup options' message and then it seems to look at the CD drive quickly, then reboots. Any advice? My entry for OS X in grub is:

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title		Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root		(hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader	+1

title		Mac OS X Leopard
root		(hd0,2)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader	+1

EDIT: After researching I have found that others are having the same problem. I get a couple quick messages, one about EFI enhanced bootloader, one about SMBIOS table, the last about ACPI, then a quick reboot. I have tried to enable execute bit. I could not find option to disable speedstep, also could not find acpi2 to enable. I tried other kernels. Of them, sleepkernel, speedstepkernel, and modbinkernel got the gray loading screen to show up, hard drive was active for about 15 seconds, then nothing. I have an nForce board but the nforcekernel does nothing. I have a Pentium D cpu. Any help?