Successful first boot in Safe mode

2 posts in this topic

Finally starting to get somewhere now! I had to reformat my computer more than once to finally get this to work, and darwin is not recognizing my ubuntu partition right now. I plan on using ubuntu as my primary boot partition anyway, so I'm hoping that if I reinstall ubuntu again, GRUB will take over as the boot manager and maybe even recognize my partitions without having to tweak the menu.lst

So anyway, I was finally able to boot into Mac OSX this morning. I kept on bootin to a white screen with some very scrambled graphics that would eventually fade into a dark grey bar just right of center on my screen. I'm assuming this is a graphics driver issue. So just on a hunch, I booted using "-x" and booted into safe mode. From there I successfully started my system. Everything works right now except for my sound.

I'm using iDeneb v.1.3 0SX 10.5.5, and after a couple of failed install attempts, I've figured out the little tricks that I needed to do to get it working. Most of which being in the "Customize" option available just before selecting install. I'm assuming I just installed the wrong audio driver (or kext, we even call them drivers in Linux) I selected the Realtek ACL97, because I seem to recall that being my driver, but apparently it isn't.

Everything else seems to work fine. Ethernet works out of the box, graphics are good, and it's running at a VERY fast functional speed.

Now to address the issue of no Ubuntu partition and set GRUB as the default boot loader!!!

been trying to boot normally. I've booted without entering anything, and I've booted using "-v -f" but the result is the same. It boots normally up to the point where you would see the login screen, and then the screen turns black with a movable cursor.

problems I've identified so far the lack of normal boot, no sound card recognized, my atheros wifi card is not recognized, and when I boot into safe mode it won't keep my settings from the previous boot.

PLEASE HELP!!! I'm so close I can taste it, but I just need a little assistance.