Dual booting with AHCI enabled?

3 posts in this topic

I'm try to get my system dual booting with AHCI enabled.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo and I originally was using Kalway and it was running fine without AHCI enabled. Then I installed iDeneb because they have a 10.5.5 release and it wouldn't install without AHCI enabled.

However I can't get my XP to boot with AHCI disabled and Leo won't boot without it.

I've tried installing the Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers, but they won't install without AHCI enabled (I get a computer does not meet mininimum requirements error). I've also tired reinstalling xp and then hitting F6, but I don't have a floppy drive to put the drivers on.

I was going to try Boot Camp, but apparently it doesn't play nice with the hackintosh.

I've read all the thread I could find related to this, and nothing has helped. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm try to get my system dual booting with AHCI enabled.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo and I originally was using Kalway and it was running fine without AHCI enabled. Then I installed iDeneb because they have a 10.5.5 release and it wouldn't install without AHCI enabled.

However I can't get my XP to boot with AHCI disabled and Leo won't boot without it.

I've tried installing the Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers, but they won't install without AHCI enabled (I get a computer does not meet mininimum requirements error). I've also tired reinstalling xp and then hitting F6, but I don't have a floppy drive to put the drivers on.

I was going to try Boot Camp, but apparently it doesn't play nice with the hackintosh.

I've read all the thread I could find related to this, and nothing has helped. Anyone have any suggestions?

I use the Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers for XP and Vista (ICH8R) and hacked kexts to enable this mode in OS X.

Details in these posts.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry511085

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry510839

I had the same problem when I tried installing ideneb on my roommate's Gateway. After doing some serious searching online, I found a way to enable AHCI mode in XP without having to reinstall. Here's the basic rundown:

1.) Boot into osx and find out your sys id for your AHCI controller. (I used OSX86 Tools and ran the View PC Device/Vender ID) If you didn't install OSX86 Tools, go here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=104754

2.) Disable AHCI (switch it back to RAID or IDE, whatever gets you back into XP)

3.) Download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager files from here.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Fi...01&lang=eng

4.) Run the installer with the -a switch to extract the files. This will NOT install the software, just extract the files. Follow the prompts as if you were installing the software:

iata76_enu.exe -a

This extracts the files to \Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager. There's drivers for 32bit and 64bit XP. Pick the 32bit one. (Drivers)

5.) Copy IaStor.sys from the Drivers folder to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\

6.) Go into notepad (or whatever text editor) and copy the text below in there. Change the pci dev_ entrys to whatever matches your AHCI id you got earlier from osx. When you're done editing the file, save it as ahci.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2922&cc_0106]

"Service"="iaStor"

"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor]

"Type"=dword:00000001

"Start"=dword:00000000

"Group"="SCSI miniport"

"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\iaStor.sys"

"tag"=dword:00000019

"DisplayName"="Intel AHCI Controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters]

"queuePriorityEnable"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Enum]

"0"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&SUBSYS_B0051458&REV_02\\3&13c0b0c5&0&FA"

"Count"=dword:00000001

"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

7.) Run the ahci.reg file you just made and enter the info into your registry.

8.) Reboot your computer, go into BIOS, and enable AHCI mode.

In theory, your XP installation should boot up (if it bluescreens your @ the XP logo, it didn't work) and detect your AHCI controller as new hardware. It should autoinstall and you will be good to go!!!! (I've heard of people saying it will ask for your windows product key, but i didn't have a problem)

Here's where I found the info for doing the AHCI mode in XP. (gotta give credit where it's due)

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831

I hope this helps you and others trying to get AHCI mode working in XP.